dark emptiness

D E A N

Blood dripping from his fingers.

Eyes blinded by the darkness.

Heart beating too fast.

Breaths too slow.

The Empty is just as horrible as it sounds. It takes a few moments before Dean adjusts to this place, but all the while, his mind and body is screaming for him to get out of here. This is not a place for a human.

But he won't leave until Cas is with him.

So he starts searching for the angel.

Starts into the void.

Dean doesn't know how long he's been walking, but it already feels like forever. His watch stopped working. His phone just as dead. So he just keeps walking.

At one point, Dean is so tired from walking that he just wants to lay down and sleep. Or at least sit down and rest for a while. But he don't. He keeps walking. Keeps searching the quiet.

And then.

A feeling.

A longing.

He'd been praying to Cas while walking. Longing for him to appear for Dean. Willing him to find his way to Dean. And now, something tugs at him. He doesn't know why, but he knows what, or who. This has to be what it felt like to Cas, when Dean was praying or longing for him.

Dean picks up his pace, eager to find the angel as fast as he can. But the darkness stretches further and further. Dean had probably been walking for a day now, if not two. He doesn't know. It could have been an hour, or a week for all he knows. But he keeps walking.

Sometimes the tug is stronger. Sometimes the tug is only a faint feeling. Sometimes it disappears completely.

And then.

In the distance.

A figure.

Dean is almost running now. He screams his name inside his head. He won't speak until he has him in his arms. He can't risk waking the Shadow just yet. But he screams Cas's name as a prayer.

The figure is laying on the ground, peacefully. Dead quiet. But he's still alive, Dean can feel it.

Cas.

He found him.

Cas.

Running faster than he ever has before, Dean reaches Cas and falls to his knees in front of him. His eyes are slightly opened, but not focused. Dean cups his face in his hands, turning his face towards Dean so that Cas finally sees him.

"Cas." Dean leans closer and whispers his name. "Cas."

At the sound of his name, Cas fully opens his eyes as he sits up. Confused and wild, the blue eyes searches the void around them, before they finally lands on him. Locking their gazes, Deans face breaks into a bright smile, as tears start streaming down his face.

"Cas."

Slowly, Cas's eyes becomes clearer as he becomes more aware. Turning his body so that it's facing Dean, their eyes are leveled and Cas seem to actually see Dean for the first time.

"Dean...?" His voice is only a small and hoarse whisper in the darkness. At the sound of his voice, Dean can't hold himself back anymore and throws his arm around the angel, embracing him for a long moment. He doesn't want to let go of the angel, but they aren't safe yet.

"Cas. It's me. I've come to being you home. I'm not leaving you here."

"You're not real." Cas says with a sad whisper, breaking eye contact to look down at his hands that are nervously shaking in his lap.