xlix. Blue Hours

xlix. Blue Hours

The dark, gloomy sky told Percy that it was raining soon as he gazed out the kitchen window, eating a bowl of blue cheerios despite being afternoon: he had woke up with a pounding headache and was trying to take it easy for the rest of the day

The dark, gloomy sky told Percy that it was raining soon as he gazed out the kitchen window, eating a bowl of blue cheerios despite being afternoon: he had woke up with a pounding headache and was trying to take it easy for the rest of the day. Though Percy felt much better than he was yesterday, guilt overwhelmed him.

Elle had informed him that Annabeth now knew that he was sick for the past couple of days (which he didn't want to happen) and he didn't know what to do now—because he had told Annabeth he was visiting family in New Jersey when he was actually in bed with many, many dirty tissues. He shouldn't have lie to her, but...he thought it would be best if he did. It was better if he explained himself before it was too late.

Percy sighed and finished it before washing the bowl and flopping onto the couch. Estelle was on a playdate with her best friend, Irene; Paul was still at work; and his mom went out grocery shopping, leaving him in the silence as he absentmindedly scrolled through his phone.

He was mid-texting Elle when the doorbell rang and he saw a text message from Annabeth, saying she was outside his door. His eyes widened in surprise and he instantly bit his lips: he haven't expected Annabeth to come to his home as she informed him she was heading to the library to study. The door bell rang again and his bunny slippers echoed as he hurried to the door.

Annabeth's grey eyes widened when they met his and they gazed at one another—his heart sank that she didn't instantly hug him or kiss him (not that he deserves it)—and Annabeth asked him if she could come inside.

His voice trembled, "Yes, of course, you can."

A small, half-hearted smile formed on Annabeth's face and she asked, "You feeling better? Elle told me you have been sick for the past couple of days."

He blushed, "Yes, I'm feeling better."

"That's good," nodded Annabeth.

Silence fell over them: Annabeth's eyes flickered at Percy, waiting for him to say something, anything, while Percy anxiously shifted on his feet, eyes fixed on his bunny slippers, as his mind scrambled to find the right words to explain his lie.

It's just that...I...I know, I shouldn't have...

"Well, I'm glad you're doing better, I'm going to go now—I just...wanted to make sure you're okay," Annabeth's voice faltered after a few minutes of silence (during which Percy had not gather the courage to speak) and walked to the door, "See you, Percy."

"No, no, no, wait!" Percy's eyes widened in fear; he quickly blocked the door, voice quavering, "I can explain, Annabeth!! I'm sorry! I know I should've told you that I was sick instead of lying to you that I was visiting family in New Jersey...I'm sorry, please forgive me, Annabeth."

Annabeth nonchalantly stared at him then softly asked, "Why did you lie, Percy? Why didn't you tell me that you were sick?"

"I...I didn't want to worry you," Percy sheepishly admitted and watched as Annabeth chewed her lips, "You told me this was a very stressful and miserable week for you and I just didn't want to worry you...so, that's why I didn't tell you. I now know that was a bad idea. I'm sorry."

Percy then glanced away when Annabeth didn't say anything afterwards; he then looked at his love, hearing her sigh, "You're so stupid, Percy Jackson."

"You don't want to worry me, but I was so worried about you this morning," her grey eyes met his sea-green ones and she stood straight, causing him to slightly cower, "You weren't answering any of my text messages after telling me you were coming to school today—do you know how worried I was when Elle told me you had been actually sick for the past couple of days? I was so worried! I was also so hurt! You told Elle that you were sick, but not your girlfriend?! Really?!"

"I'm sorry," Percy bit his lips and closed the distance between Annabeth and her, "I promise I won't do that ever again: I promise you I'll tell you the truth."

Annabeth softly smiled, "Okay, good."

"I know I'm stupid, but you still love me, right?" he cheekily grinned.

To his answer, Annabeth cupped his cheeks and locked her soft lips with his. She tasted so good— like trident gum. When they pulled away, Percy wrapped his arms around Annabeth (catching her off guard) and breathed in the scent of books; he mumbled I love you into her blonde hair.

"Um, not to ruin the mood," she pulled away and Percy suddenly felt cold, "But I need to mention this before I forget, but I have all the homework you missed today—Elle told me she already gave you the days you missed prior."

"Yes, she did," Percy recalled the past couple of days where Elle had showed up at his apartment door with a smile and homework, "I'm almost caught up with everything."

"Mhm, that's my boyfriend," smirked Annabeth, "How about instead of spending another evening doing work, we cuddle?"

His eyes lit up at that suggestion then frowned, "But I don't want to get you sick, Annabeth."

"It—It's fine, don't worry," she reassured, "I just want to take care of my Seaweed Brain and besides, I really want to cuddle—I can just go home and cuddle Mrs. O'Leary instead."

"No, no, no, cuddle me," Percy pouted, "I'm a better cuddle buddy."

Her laughter sounded like a beautiful melody to the ears, "Yes, you are."

In the late in the evening, Annabeth had left and his parents returned home though Estelle was still at Irene's place. It had began raining midway as he worked on his homework in the living room; he was mesmerized with the droplets as they quickly clouded the windows.

The ring of the doorbell caused Percy to look up from his physics homework and he immediately opened the door, greeting Estelle, Irene, and her older sister—Elle, and Estelle instantly hugged Irene and Elle goodbye and went inside.

"I wish I brought an umbrella with me, Percy! It's raining heavily outside and I'm absolutely drenched," chuckled Elle.

"Oh? You can use one of our umbrellas! Let me give them to you," Percy quickly grabbed an umbrella and handed it to Elle, "There you go."

"Thank you, you didn't have to!" Elle half-smiled and accepted it.

Their hands brushed against one another and they glanced at each other; Elle quickly looked away with a blush and Percy softly smiled at the girl whose eyes then widened at him.

"Oh!" she exclaimed then sheepishly said in a quiet tone, "I'm sorry if I caused any trouble between you and Annabeth! I promise you that wasn't my intention at all—!"

"I know it wasn't, don't worry," his words caused Elle to beam and the girl ruffled his hair before leaving.

"Talk to you later, Percy!" 

[originally published on 1/9/21.]

[1/9/21] author's note! Hi! This is was writing fun to write as I don't usually don't do Percy's POV! There's probably going to be more chapter where it's Percy's POV in this act! I feel like everyone probably knows by now that Elle is going to be reoccurring in this act so look out for that! I don't have to say anymore as the chapter usually speak for themselves! I hope everyone is doing good! Thank you for reading and have a good day/night! Much Love, Lucinda! 💙