vii. An Invitation to My Heart!

It was homecoming season and while everyone was excited, Annabeth was not: many, many girls has asked Percy to homecoming and even though he has kindly rejected their invitations, she was afraid that he'll one day accept and Annabeth doesn't think...

It was homecoming season and while everyone was excited, Annabeth was not: many, many girls has asked Percy to homecoming and even though he has kindly rejected their invitations, she was afraid that he'll one day accept and Annabeth doesn't think she can watch Percy go to the dance with someone else—it would break her heart!

However, Annabeth was scared to ask him out to homecoming, too flustered to even talk about the dance with him ever since Estelle confessed that he wanted to take her to the dance, and it didn't help that he pretended that conversation never happened and she felt too awkward to bring it up.

As days went on, Annabeth accepted Estelle had accidentally misheard Percy and that he does not like Annabeth nor did he wanted to ask her out to homecoming, but at night, she dreamt that they were enjoying homecoming together. Gosh, why did she have to have a crush on her friend?

It happened on a rainy September evening when she had babysat Estelle; Percy had walked her to the bus stop and they're just talking about nonsense and she just looked at Percy with the desire to kiss him. It was a long time coming, after all, her heart has been fluttering whenever he was around way before she realized she liked him. If only he liked her back...!

"Aren't you excited for homecoming? I am!" beamed Hazel Levesque.

Ever since Annabeth and Percy became friends, she has been eating with him during lunch with his friends who she really liked—they all were super accepting and kind.

"Definitely. I promise a lot of girls that I'll dance with them at homecoming," Leo Valdez simpered.

"I'll bet," laughed Piper, "I mean, who wouldn't want to dance with bad boy supreme!"

"I know right?" Leo grinned, "Anyways, so, I know Piper and Jason and Frank and Hazel are going to homecoming together—are you two going together or...?"

Leo raised an eyebrow at Annabeth and Percy; she looked at Percy with widened eyes and she bit her lips.

"Uh, not sure," Percy's cheeks tinted red as he responded.

"Not sure?" frowned Jason, "What does that mean? I thought you guys would go together—I thought you guys were going together."

"Really? Why?" asked Annabeth curiously.

"I mean, aren't you guys dating?" Jason explained with a shrug then blushed when Annabeth and Percy shook their head, "Oh, that's embarrassing—I'm sorry! I dunno! I just thought that because you were very....you know that you were dating! You guys would make a very cute couple! You know what, I'm going to shut up now, sorry."

"It's fine, don't worry about it, Jason," Annabeth sheepishly chuckled.

Annabeth's face was flushed and her heart was racing: she couldn't believe that Jason thought they were dating!

Why did he think that? What about Percy and her made him think about they're dating? Dating...!

While Piper changed the topic (for Jason's sake) and talked about her classes, Annabeth shyly glanced at Percy—like hers, his face was flushed—and her eyes curiously fixated on Percy's small smile. He has such a cute smile—Wait, why was he smiling?

Annabeth then quickly looked away, so Percy could catch her staring, and listened to Piper, however all she could think was about Percy's response to Leo's question about if they're going to homecoming together.

Not sure? What does that mean? Are they going together? Was Percy planning to ask her????!

"I think Jason is right," said Percy as they left the cafeteria when lunch was over.

Annabeth turned to look at Percy and his glistening sea-green eyes met hers and she halted with widened eyes as Percy pulled aside.

Her heart raced, "What? What's Jason right about?"

"That would we would make a cute couple together."

[formerly tilted: Friends? && originally published on 10/10/20.]

[10/10/20] author's note! I'm so ~✨tired✨~ and I low-key hit a writer block this week which luckily faded away as it neared the weekend so that's great!! We're slowly but surely getting into act two which is exciting as I have A LOT of ideas to write down so yee-haw. I'm going to keep this short as I don't know what else to write and I feel high and drunk (which are the side effects when it comes to the lack of sleep) and yeah! Thank you for reading and sending some love and positive to you! Much love, Lucinda! 💕✨🥰🥺