Luke

Luke sat in his car and stared at the dashboard. He had to get out of the house after reading the diary and held the vodka bottle tightly in his hand. The words he had read lingered round his mind. Jessica loved him. She had told him. Why then had she done this to him? Luke felt used and worthless, and worst of all, she had made him drink. He barely touched alcohol. Now he was becoming a drunk. Over the last month, he had consumed more bottles than he had ever drunk in his entire life. Luke knew he had to get a grip, but it was becoming harder and harder.

The words from Jessica's journal echoed round his mind. Each sentence hit him like a sword striking his heart. Luke felt hazy and his stomach was in knots. All he wanted was to forget Jessica's words, yet they were lodged in his brain.

'Can't believe it's my wedding day. Luke is a wonderful man, and I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with him. I love him. But I also love Alan. I really tried to break up with him, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm a coward. I should choose. Is it possible to love two men? It must be because I love two men. I chose to marry Luke, and I want a family. Alan is part of that family, but I can't tell Luke.
I managed to see Alan last night. He was furious, but he understood. I will have to juggle two lives. My married life, and my secret life.'

The burning vodka slid down Luke's throat. He felt the rush from the liquid, as it settled inside his stomach and started to dull his senses. He turned the ignition and put the radio on. He was going to forget Jessica's words: Is it possible to love two men? Those words seemed familiar. He wondered if he had read her diaries before. No! He had been deceived. Another gulp of the burning alcohol and Luke was starting to feel better. Is it possible to love two men? He willed the words the go away and kept drinking until the bottle was virtually empty.

Finally, the words had gone. The alcohol had helped, and Luke could not remember what he was so angry about. His vision was blurry, and he laughed to himself, twisting his head back and forth to the song playing on the radio. He needed more bottles. He felt good and wanted to forget everything. Luke remembered the shop was only down the road. If he was careful, he could drive the car and buy more bottles, then sleep until all his troubles had disappeared.

The blue Kia pulled off the driveway, clipped the curb, and bounced onto the road.
'Wow!' laughed Luke, gripping the steering wheel tightly. He opened the window and allowed the freezing air to flood the vehicle. It was fresh, and quickly pulled him back to reality.
'Steady! Nice and steady,' he told himself, slowly moving down the street.

Even in Luke's drunken state, he managed to keep the vehicle on the road. The sun was dipping as it started to set over the horizon, and the clear blue sky was slowly turning a golden yellow, with a red horizon. He carefully joined the main road, watching the other cars.

The residential street was quiet. Traffic was light and only a few pedestrians were walking. The houses here were grand, and Luke wondered how he would afford the mortgage. Without Jessica's income, could he pay the bills? Before they were married, Jessica insisted they stay close to the school, and she loved to walk. The river was close by, and the scenic walks were picturesque on a summer's day. Oak trees lined the path and they had often strolled hand in hand, following the river as it disappeared into the city. The thought quickly vanished, and Luke listened to the song.

A jolly song was playing on the radio, and Luke pulled off down a side street. Even though his vision was hazy, he knew he had to avoid heavy traffic. Luke had drunk too much and did not want an accident. Somewhere, there was a quieter shop, away from the busy high-street. Even in his drunken state, Luke struggled to avoid thinking about Jessica. She consumed his thoughts and he wanted to forget about her.

A woman walked down the street, and Luke slowed down. He was stunned momentarily. She looked just like Jessica. Blond hair, pale green eyes, and wore the same shade of red lipstick Jessica wore. No! It's not her. His mind was playing tricks and he pulled his focus back to driving, swerved unsteadily across the lanes.
'Come on, man,' he told himself. 'Get it together.'