Luke

The days were now merging into one. Luke had lost track of time and by the time he woke up, he had no idea what day it was. All he knew his head throbbed and his stomach was empty. He checked his phone and sent a reply to his boss. He could not face work. He was not ready to see people, having to talk to them and listen to their condolences. No chance. The empty vodka bottles were all he could face. Deep down he knew he had to stop and get on with his life, but not yet. He was still grieving. Soon, he told himself. Soon.

His mind drifted back to Jessica's phone message. Luke was still in shock, after learning about Jessica being unfaithful. She was the love of his life. They were perfect together, or so he thought. How had this happened? Had he done something wrong? Those were questions he would never be able to answer. One thing he could do was confront Alan. For the first time, Luke felt a sudden sense of purpose. Find out what Alan was up too and try not to kill him. First thing, clean himself up and wait for the school day to end. He did not want a ton of spotty kids milling around listening to their conversation. He would talk to Alan later in the day and get to the bottom of this. What about Russell? Had he been released from police custody? Luke had no idea and had been unable to reach him. Where was Russell?

Luke started out of the kitchen window and looked out at the depressing morning. The sky was grey, dulling the daylight and leaving a gloomy feel over the landscape. Autumn was perfect when the sun was shining, yet on days like this, Luke wanted to stay in bed and never come out. Especially at this moment. Losing Jessica had hit him hard. Learning his best friend was in prison because he might have killed his wife, was too much to comprehend. Jessica was having an affair with her boss, and Luke had no knowledge of it. He felt like an idiot. How could he have known. As far as he knew Jessica loved him and she always showed that she did.

Three hours until the end of the school day. Luke milled around the house and spent most of the day sleeping. His head still throbbed, and he had to lay off the alcohol. Anymore and he would pickle his liver.
A quick shower, a shave, some fresh clothes, and he would feel better. Looking in the mirror, he examined his appearance. Much better, he told himself. Ready to face the world. However, he did not feel ready. His hands were shaking at the thought of leaving the house, but he knew he had too. Staying inside was unhealthy and he needed food. His stomach growled. Time to leave. Get some fresh air. It will do you good. He repeated that over and over, until he convinced himself to leave the house. His pep-talk worked. Grabbing his keys, Luke took a deep breath and stepped out of the house.

Driving down the street felt good. His glanced at Russell and Debbie's house. Police tap hung round the property and reminded Luke of a crime scene from those shows he watched. It was a crime scene. Someone had died there. Had Russell really killed his wife? No chance.
Luke drove on and dismissed the thought that his best friend was a killer. He would drive to town, grab some food and head to the school. By the time he ate and drank vast quantities of coffee, he would be ready to confront Alan. He had to keep his cool, yet it would be impossible.

Refreshed and full, Luke sat outside the school, slipping his fourth cup of coffee. The caffeine seeped into his blood stream, and he felt alert and awake. Slightly buzzing, but ready to tackle this problem. He sipped the hot liquid and thought about what he would say to Alan.
The headmaster was a good-looking man. Luke had met him a few times, and from what he recalled he was attractive. Similar height and build to Luke, with dark brown hair and dark brown eyes. His hair was thick and naturally curly, and Luke thought he had a goatee, but could not remember.
Kids were now pouring out the school, pushing each other, laughing, and running, relived to be leaving the establishment that trapped them each day. He stared at the kids and imagined taking his own child to school, waiting patiently outside the school gates, talking to other parents about the perils of having children. He frowned. That would never happen.

He waited until the last of the kids left the school and grabbed his coat from the back seats. The sky was darkening as the sun set, adding to the gloomy landscape. Thick clouds hung in the air, ready to burst with torrents of rain. Autumn. It was Luke's best time of year and his worst.
He did not have time to admire the darkening sky. It was time to face Alan. Cars still filled the car park and many of the teachers had lessons to plan and clear up after the destructive day. Headmasters Luke imagined, would be the last to leave. Time to find out. He confidently walked up to the school office and pressed the buzzer. He took a deep breath and waited for the receptionist to approach the desk.
'Hello, can I help you?' Luke tried not to smile. Her voice reminded him of the character from Monsters Inc. What was her name? Roz. The slug. Her voice sounded like this lady.
'I'm watching you, Wazowski. Always watching. Always.'
Luke grinned at the thought. He had to answer, instead of staring at her like a lunatic.
'Um. Sorry. Miles away. Is Alan still here?'
'Mr Hamlet. Yes, he is still here. Do you have an appointment?'
'No. Not really. I'm. I'm.' Luke paused, anxiety rising within. 'I'm Jessica Hill's husband. I was hoping to talk to Alan. Um. Mr Hamlet.'
The reception's demeanour changed. She reached out and grabbed Luke's hand.
'I'm so sorry dear,' she said tenderly. 'We were devested about Jessica's death. I'm sure Alan would want to see you.'
'That's. That's very kind,' said Luke, slightly unnerved.
'I'll tell him you are here.' She rushed off into the office and talked into a nearby phone. Luke tried to listen to the conversation over the noise of printers and telephones ringing and the general commotion of the office.
'He says go right up.' She pointed toward the door. 'Take a left, up the stairs and it's the first office on your right. It's marked outside.'
'Thanks,' said Luke, and pushed his way through the door.

The gold plaque read: Alan Hamlet, M.S. Headmaster. He had a science degree. A science teacher. For the briefest of moments, Luke felt out of his depth. He was a lowly Graphic Designer up against an intelligent graduate. Luke gently knocked on the sturdy wooden door. It did not matter who this man was, he had stolen his beloved Jessica.

He waited for a reply or an invitation to go inside. No answer. His knock had been too gentle, and Luke readied himself for a more vigorous knock. He hated confrontation, yet the angry he felt about this man outweighed his apprehension. He banged hard on the door. A few students shuffled by, given him a sidewards glance. Luke ignored them.
'Come in,' came a muffled voice from inside. It was Alan Hamlet.