Louise

Louise sat at the breakfast bar, sipping coffee, and nibbling the edges off a slice of toast. Thick layers of peanut butter covered the surface, and with each crunch, small flecks of the spread fell onto the plate. She licked her fingers, enjoying the last remains of peanut butter. Even as a child she loved it and would often eat mouthfuls straight from the jar. Her mother would catch her and yell at her, and Louise would giggle, unable to answer because her mouth was stuck together with thick layers of peanut butter. Even now, she would find herself consuming mouthfuls straight out of the jar. She smiled at the memory and finished her toast.

A floorboard creaked, and Louise turned to look at the noise. It was Luke. Looking tired, his hair dishevelled, as he staggered toward her like a zombie.
'Hey sleepy,' said Louise, sounding too jolly for this time in the morning. 'I'm sorry about last night.'
'I don't want to talk about it,' said Luke. Louise frowned. Luke still sounded cross after he had learned that Louise knew about Jessica and Alan's affair.
'I just want to say I'm sorry. I should have made Jessica tell you sooner.'
'I guess,' replied Luke. 'Any of that coffee left?'
'Help yourself. There's milk in the fridge, toast, or cereal in the cupboard. Whatever you prefer.'
'Coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. That's all I need. How'd you sleep?'
'Like a baby.' She laughed. 'I never understood that expression. Babies never sleep well, so I would be saying I slept horribly. Doesn't make sense.'
'You know what,' said Luke, pouring himself a cup of coffee. 'You think too much.'
They both laughed and sat in silence, enjoying the moment, and gathering their thoughts. A dull beep resonated from the breakfast bar. A message on Louise's phone. She wiped the last remains of peanut butter from her mouth and read the message.
'Russell's in hospital,' she finally said, her words sounding shocked. 'It's my friend Mary who works at the hospital. She says Russell was bought in last night after driving his car into the river. That's horrible. She remembered we were friends and thought I'd like to know.'
'Russell. Our Russell?' asked Luke.
'Do you know any other Russell's?' asked Louise.
'I can't believe that. What was he thinking? Can you asked which ward he is in.' Luke was now pacing, looking agitated. 'Do you think he tried to kill himself?'
'I don't know,' said Louise. 'If he drove off the bridge, then I guess he was trying to. Horrible way to go, plunging into that freezing water. Hold on there's more.'
The phone had beeped again, and Louise was reading intently.
'Mary says he's in the psychiatric ward, because he tried to kill himself, and he is sedated.'
'I'm going to see him. Even if he's not awake, I need to be there for him. Russell was always there for me, and he needs me now.'
'I'm coming too,' said Louise. 'Let's get ready and leave in one hour.'
'Sounds good.'

Louise disappeared off to the shower and thought about Jessica. The last time she had visited a hospital was when Jessica broke her leg and had to spend weeks strapped to a bed with her leg in the air. With the hot water rushing over her, Louise drifted off to those weeks keeping Jessica company, during her hospital stay.

'Hey moron,' said Louise, stepping up to Jessica's hospital bed. It was always the same smell. Antiseptic and urine. The smell lingered in her nostrils.
'You must be talking to yourself again,' laughed Jessica. 'Are you here to torture me?'
'Dad sent me. Told me you needed company and were losing your mind. I said you've already lost it.'
'You're so funny, Lou. Regular comedian. What have you brought with you this time?'
'You're favourite. Battleships. And this time, I'm going to beat you.'
'Never. I'm the master at this game.'
A nurse rushed by, holding some form of torture implement, and pulled the curtain shut around the opposite bed.
'Poor Mr. Focal,' said Jessica. 'He has the squits. Always messing himself, and it stinks. You wait till it wafts over here.'
'Great. I can't wait. Hey, you want me to comb your hair. Looks a mess.'
Jessica's normally perfect blond hair looked tangled and unkept. It need a good brush.
'What's the point. Not like I'm going get any guys in here. Except Mr. Focal, and his bad smells.'
Louise laughed and smiled at her sister. They could have been twins. The only difference was their hair. Louise had darker hair than Jessica and was slightly shorter. Everyone could tell they were sisters, they looked very similar.
'What about the guy at the school? The one you keep talking about.'
'Alan?'
'What about him?'
'He's the headmaster. I can't go out with him. Would you date your boss?' asked Jessica.
'No way. He's a pig. You told me Alan is nice, good looking and kind. What's the problem.'
'I told you. He is my boss, and I can't ask him out. Although, he keeps popping into my office. Makes up some excuse about papers or a question he wanted to ask. It's not very subtle.'
'Maybe he will ask you out?' said Louise.
'Maybe,' replied Jessica. 'Let's play. Are you ready to lose'

The shower had gone cold and Louise turned the water off. She remembered how she could never beat Jessica at battleships. Somehow, she always managed to know where Louise had placed her pieces, and it still annoyed her.

Ten minutes later Louise was dressed and waiting for Luke. She knocked on the door lightly.
'You in there, Luke?'
'Give me a minute, just getting dressed.'
'Sure. Ready when you are. I'll get the car warmed up.'
'Ok,' came the muffled reply from Luke.
'Luke. Did you go out last night?'
'What?'
'Did you go out last night? Thought I heard the door shut,' called Louise through the door.
'Nope. Went to bed, and slept all through the night,' said Luke. 'Why do you ask?'
'No reason,' she replied. 'Just wondered.'

Louise pulled on her thick coat, stepped into her trainers, and was standing outside the house. It was freezing. Winter was on the way, and now that the trees were bare, and there would soon be ice on the car. It was the worst thing about winter. Louise glanced at her black Mini, thankful that ice had not yet covered the windscreen. She tilted her head and looked puzzled. The car had moved. She was convinced she had parked it facing her door. She always did. Louise would pull up onto her driveway, and slightly angle the car toward the front door. She did it because it gave her an unobstructed view of the vehicle in case someone tried to steal it. It was now parked away from the door, straight and neat. Weird! Frowning she stepped over to the car.
Luke stepped out of the front door.
'You got your keys?' he yelled.
Louise jangled the keys in her hand and watched Luke shut the door.
'You sure you didn't go out last night?'
'I'm sure. You ok?' he asked.
'Yeah. Never mind.' She shrugged off the thought and jumped into the driver's seat.

The trip to the hospital was uneventful. They talked, and she tried to make Luke laugh with her stupid jokes, and finally pulled up to the imposing building. The hospital was old. Built during the Victorian times and had always functioned as a hospital. It had changed inside, but the outside remained the same. Old with flecks of paint peeling along the outer walls.
'You must be cold,' said Louise. 'Where's your coat?'
'Dunno. Thought I'd brought it in the house. Couldn't find it anywhere.'
'Come on, let's find Russell. Oh look. There's your coat.'
'What?' said Luke.
'Look. In the back. Tucked away by the seat. What's it doing there?'
'No idea. I'm going mad.'

Luke lookedflustered. Louise watched his face as he pulled the coat on. She could nottell, but something was off about him. She had known Luke since Jessica hadfirst introduced him. He now looked different. He had lost his wife, and ofcourse he would look different. Sad and depressed. Anyone would. Louise wasgood at reading people. That's what she did for a job. Psychiatrist. She couldtell, something was off about Luke.
'Hey! You ok?' he said,catching her staring.
'Sorry. Totally zoned out fora moment.'
Luke smiled and together they disappeared into the hospital.
'You sure you didn't go outlast night?'
'If I say yes, will you stopasking?' asked Luke.
Louise laughed. 'Sorry, just having a weird feeling.'