Luke

Voices. Voices were everywhere, and Luke opened his eyes with a startled expression. He was still in the car, trapped in the darken space of the Mini. His head throbbed and it took him a moment to remember where he was and what had happened. Everything was hazy, from the bump on his head. He tried to focus, recalling recent events, remembering the erratic driving, and then hitting something. Luke had been knocked out and the semi-conscious state in was in, allowed him to break free from Sam's grip. Then Luke remembered Russell and hearing a loud collision. The Mini had crashed, and Luke had a chance to get out of here. He gathered up his strength and started pounding frantically on the metal panel.
'Hey! Hey! Anyone out there?'
He could still hear the voices, and he could also hear the voice in his head. Sam was raging, yelling that Luke let him out. Despite the fear Luke felt, he tried to remain calm. He controlled his breathing, taking small deep breaths. It was the only way to keep Sam away. Any sign of anger, or irritations, or minor annoyance, and Sam would take advantage and leap out. Luke could not take the risk and tried hard to stay in control and focus on getting out.
'Hey! Help! I'm stuck in here!' he yelled out, hoping someone would hear him.
His head was throbbing, and it took all his will-power to keep Sam away. Luke desperately wanted to yell in anger, frustrated by the situation he was in, but he knew that is what Sam wanted. Luke pounded hard, banging with intensity, trying to breath slowly, trying to stay calm. Yet, with each minute, he could feel his fear increasing. Think about Jessica, he told himself. The voice in his head told him she was a liar and had betrayed him. Think of her smile. Jessica was beautiful and he did not deserve her. Luke let her down and that is why she turned away from him. It was his fault. The voice in his head yelled in fury.
Jessica lied to you. She cheated on you. None of this is your fault, can't you see that. She deserved to die, and so did Alan, and Debbie.

He had to quiet the voice, because with each word he could feel his fury rising, and that would only lead to trouble. Stay calm. Stay calm, and he knocked as hard as possible on the metal panel. Suddenly, he heard a key turn in the lock, followed by the creak of metal groaning as the lid was lifted on his enclosed space. Luke shielded his eyes as torch lights shone into his face. He tried to make out the faces, but his eyes were struggling to focus.
'Hello. Are you OK? I'm officer Hook. Can you hear me?'
Luke tried to respond but he was stunned by the crowd that had gathered around the car.
'Mr Hill. Are you OK?'
He felt a hand under his arm, and he was suddenly hauled out of the Mini. His eyes started to adjust, and the night was filled with light, all coming from the row of police cars that littered the street.
'Mr Hill, I'm DI Cortado. Are you hurt?'
It was detective that had interviewed Luke, and he looked a mess. His hair was in a state, and his suit was creased as if he had slept in it.
'I'm ok, I think,' muttered Luke. He steadied himself against the car. He was far from OK. His head throbbed and his arms and legs were numb, and Luke was sure he would vomit.
'Get him checked out,' ordered the detective. 'Then we can talk.'

Luke was ushered away by another police officer and taken to a nearby ambulance. His mind had settled, and Luke was starting to make sense of the situation. Louise, what happened to her? Russell had shot her, and left her for dead, and Luke remembered the blood. Lots of blood around her body. Luke jerked away from the paramedic and rushed over to the nearest officer.
'Hey. We're not done yet,' shouted the medic, looking frustrated by Luke's sudden flight.
'What happened to Louise?' asked Luke, almost grabbing an impeccably dressed policeman, wearing full uniform.
'Huh? Who?'
'Louise! Louise! The woman at the apartment. She was shot. Did someone find her?'
'Oh! Her,' replied the officer. Then he paused and looked around. 'I'll get the detective.'
Luke watched while the young man wandered off to find detective Cortado and thought about his options. He had a chance to end this mess. Everything that had happened was because of him, and now he could confess everything, tell the officer what he had done. Was it his fault? Or was it Sam's? Luke had just only learnt the truth, and he had not yet fully processed its significance, but he knew that he could end this by telling the detective everything he knew, and this madness would end. People had died because of him. His friends had died, and Luke could not allow anyone else to get hurt. The voice in his head disagreed.
You'll regret it. Stop thinking and let me out. Get angry, Luke. That's what you want. Everyone has it in for you unless you take control. Do it! Now!