Sam

That time came soon enough. The school was closing for the night. The few remaining teachers and students had left, and Alan was the last one in the school. I heard his keys jangle as he locked his office door and headed toward the central office. It was the only way in or out, through the security door. I made sure to stay hidden, watching Alan slowly move toward the stairs. I had purposely left a yellow floor wet sign near the stairs. It would help convince any police that this was an accident. Alan had simple slipped on the wet floor and tumbled down the stairs. It would be an unfortunate accident.
My heart was thumping with excitement. The thrill of the chase. I was looking forward to this. Watching Alan leave, flicking off the lights as he went, sent a shiver down my spine. It was time to move.

The corridor had been plunged into darkness. The only light came from the glow of streetlamps outside. Carefully manoeuvring between the doorways, I crept closer toward Alan. I had to reach him before he descended the stairs. The corridor was dark and silent, except for Alan's hard shoes echoing on the empty floor. He was nearly the stairs. Time to move. I clenched my fingers into a fist. Adrenaline mixed with tension shot through my body. One mistake, and I could ruin everything. The good news is that I don't make mistakes. Not this time. I was focused and ready. Today Alan would die and be out of Luke's life.
I took a deep breathe, trying to steady my nerves, and rushed forward, careful to stay quiet. Stepping lightly across the polished floor, I moved toward my prey. My shoes unexpectantly caught a wet patch on the floor and gave a gently squeak. In the silence, it was as loud as a roaring lion. I swore under my breathe for being careless, yet it was an unavoidable mistake. I quickly shot into the shadows, careful to stay hidden. I caught sight of Alan. He stopped and turned around, peering into the dark, silent corridor. I made sure to stay out of sight.
'Hello, anyone there?' he asked, sounding concerned.

I imagined the fear he was feeling. Alan had heard a noise. Something he did not recognised, and now his heartbeat would be accelerating. Just how I liked it. I steadied my breathing, trying to stay calm and avoid detection. I dared not look in case Alan noticed a shadowy shape peering out from a doorway. Then I heard the familiar sound of his shoes. He was heading toward the stairs. The sound immediately changed as he stepped onto the first step, with its metal grips. He would be gone if I didn't move.

I had to act now and launched out from the shadows and ran toward the stairs. I was no longer worried about being quiet. I had to reach Alan and I had to push him. The sound of my quickening steps alerted Alan, but before he could react, I had reached the steps. Standing at the top of the stairs, breathing heavily and alert, I moved forward arms outstretched, ready to push the headmaster. Alan spun round, but it was too late. He caught sight of my hands reaching out. His face contorted in panic. He gasped in shock and tried to speak, knowing what was about to happen, but my hands swiftly struck his chest, and he lost his balance. His feet lifted off the steps and there was an audible groan from the Headmaster as he began his descent.

I would love to say I hung around and watched his body fall, but that wasn't my style. I was confident that the tumble would result in his death. It was a long way down and no matter how much Alan tried to steady himself, my push had been hard and solid. The momentum of the fall would be impossible to stop.
Without waiting I rushed down the corridor to grab my things. I had to make sure that there was no trace that I had ever been here. The real Janitor was hunched over in a cupboard with a large mop and bucket spread across the floor. As far as he was concerned, he took a tumble and knocked himself out. He sat in his underwear, his white belly hanging over his shorts, and I quickly stripped down to mine. I put the uniform back on the overweight man and returned to my own clothes. When the Janitor awoke, he would be confused, then when he found Alan's body slumped at the bottom of the stairs, he would raise the alarm.

The entire process had taken minutes and I would be long gone before the Janitor found Alan sprawled across the stairs like a ragdoll.
I had been correct, because Alan was sprawled across the stairs. I wanted to check that he had stopped breathing, but I didn't want to leave fingerprints on his skin. It was bad enough that I had to touch his chest, but I was confident there would be no fingerprints on his blazer.

Another five minutes and I was driving down the dark road, away from the school. No cameras, no nosey neighbour, not a soul saw me leave the school. It was perfect. The perfect accident. Alan slipped on the wet polished floor. It was dark. He lost his footing and tumbled all the way down. It would have been a nasty fall. The police would check for witnesses, questioning staff and students. The only witness would have been the Janitor. His explanation would sound vague and confusion, and if the police suspected foul play, the Janitor would be their first suspect. Perfect.

It was too easy, and you must agree it was a good plan. Nobody would suspect a thing. Alan deserved what he got; don't you agree? Not everyone has the guts to kill like this, but somethings need taking care of. Luke couldn't do it, so I did. It was perfect.