Sam

I was proud of Luke and at the same time disappointed. Alan deserved what was coming to him. He had stolen Jessica from Luke, taking some of that love that should have been Luke's, and that was unforgivable. Then he says the baby was his. That's unacceptable. I only wish Luke had finished the guy off at the school. He was a coward and could not go through it. That's what I'm here for. To make things right.

I allowed a few days to go by. Luke had confronted the headmaster and if an accident happened to Alan, it would look like Luke did it. I couldn't have that. Luke had been through enough, without being suspected of hurting Alan. Even with a few days, it would still be hard to keep Luke away from suspicion. Yet, I couldn't wait any longer. The anger and betrayal I felt toward Alan was eating me up and I had to do something. For Luke. My job was to get rid of those in his life who had lied or taken something from him, and I was getting good at it.
I managed to make Jessica's car crash look like an accident. No one suspected a thing. She had lied and deceived Luke. He was too blind to see it. Then Debbie. Close friends. I don't think so. Close friends do not lie and keep secrets from each other. She knew about Jessica and Alan, yet she said nothing to Luke. The fire was perfect. I just wish I could have seen her face when the fire got her.
Russell. He was feeling the pain of losing his wife, and spending time in jail. His punishment is going to take longer, and I'm going to enjoy watching him suffer. He is supposed to be Luke's best friend. He should have told Luke everything. Instead he kept the secret. Russell will pay, but not yet. I want him to suffer for a while.
Now we come to Alan. The thief. The adulterer. The liar. This is going to be fun. I just needed a clever way to get rid of him, without drawing suspicion to Luke.

I had to make sure the deaths were far enough apart to not be connected. If a savvy detective put it together, he might start to think these deaths are linked. He might start knocking on doors, asking questions, and those questions could come back to Luke. He is the link between these people, and I can't have that. This is not his problem. Luke is dealing with enough. Losing Jessica, learning of Debbie's death, and realising his best friend might be a killer. It's a lot for one person to take. Then when he hears about Alan, I know he will be relieved. He hates the man as much as I do and will only wish he had finished the headmaster off.

I'm sure who've been wondering who I am. I told you not to worry about that. I just wanted you to know the story. The story about Luke and how I saved his life. It might not seem that why, but in years to come, Luke will have a better life, free from liars and those who betray him. All you need to know, I'm looking out for Luke, helping him along the path.

It was sad to watch. Luke had spent most of his week sleeping. He was still upset from the news that the baby might not be his. He drank, he slept, and occasionally he cried. To be honest, it was pathetic. I tried not to judge. The man had just lost is wife. But seriously. Pull yourself together. Jessica was dead. He would have to accept that. I know it sounds harsh, but that's the reality of the situation. Luke has a chance to enjoy a new life. A fresh start. I tried to offer him a way out, but now he has a real chance to find good, honest friends. Not these liars and cheats he knows. But Luke couldn't get over it and it sent him deeper into the dark hole of despair. It was sad, but I do feel sorry for him. I'm not that cold. That's why I'm doing this. Time to get rid of Alan and cheer Luke up.

I had been watching Alan most of the day. I'd managed to borrow a janitor's uniform and kept mopping the floors around the school. The cap, the glasses, and the grey uniform hid my appearance, and made me invisible. Nobody notices a janitor. It's the perfect disguise. Don't ask how I got the uniform but let's just say the real janitor won't be needing it for the time being.
Alan had a busy day. Covering for missing teachers. Meeting with students. Making calls to governors and parents. The life of a headmaster was full, and he had a lot to do. I made sure to stay out of the way. I didn't want to be remembered as the janitor that was always following Alan.
As the day wound down, students left, teachers left, but Alan stayed behind, finishing paperwork. It was now dark outside, and the school was eerily quiet. The noisy buzz of students had gone, leaving behind an empty silence. A few voices could be heard from rooms. Teachers talking. One or two students getting help with homework. Telephones ringing. It was still too busy to finish my purpose. I would keep mopping and cleaning, staying invisible until Alan left. Then I would create the perfect accident.

This was the moment I loved the most. The minutes before the kill. I savoured it, taking in the environment. The quiet school was like the set in a horror movie. No one around, noise coming from everywhere, and the sound of your heartbeat quickening as your terror rose. Alan was about to feel that terror, when I appear out of nowhere and push him out of the stairs.