Sam

I had been thinking about what to do with Louise, trying to decide whether to kill her or let her live. Those thoughts had been drowned out by Luke's needless whining. It was getting tiresome. This was the problem with sharing one body and one mind. There wasn't room for two personalities, and I was determined to win. I knew I could push Luke further away, until he was buried so deep inside my mind, that he would be lost and remain hidden away. Then I could enjoy some peace and quiet, without him complaining at my decisions.

Every now and then, I sensed Luke pushing forward, like a wave desperate to reach the shore. I struggled to maintain control, worried that Luke would break through and push me aside. I couldn't let that happen, I had to stay in control. I could feel the desperation in Luke's pleading. He had stopped yelling, and he was now asking, asking me to stop, and kept suggesting that we could co-exist together. I had laughed at the idea, knowing that Luke would never allow me to return. Why would I want to share when I could do anything I wanted? I was everything Luke could never be, and I could do anything Luke would never do. It was better this way. Staying in control was going to be harder than I thought, because Luke was getting stronger, and with each minute, I could feel his presence more and more. I had to deal with this, and Louise could help me.

Her apartment screamed luxury and wealth. She was doing well for herself, earning the big bucks with her fancy job that paid well. I had spent some time studying the various diplomas and certificates that filled the hallway wall. She was very studious, having earned several doctorates, giving her letters after her name. She had her PhD; along with her BSc and other letters I didn't recognise. Louise was qualified as a psychologist, and she could help me keep Luke away. I wondered if she would help me or trick me into believing she was. Louise was crafty; I had learned that the hard way and knew she wouldn't give up so easily.

I needed to do something because Luke was pounding his way out of my head. His relentless thrashing was draining, and despite my attempts to block him out, Luke was pushing through. Unexpectantly, I felt a sudden pummelling, like someone was smashing my skull with a hammer, and the pain was coming from the inside. What was Luke doing? My head throbbed, and I couldn't concentrate. He was twisting nerves, filling my consciousness with his thoughts, that I was unable to think straight. How? How was he doing this? Before I could answer, I dropped to my knees, paralysed by Luke. I had to push him away, yet somehow, he was winning. I had to smile at his ability, and I realised that he had been quiet because he had been planning how to break free. Luke had learnt well and understood how our personalities worked. I should have seen it. I lived on hated and anger, Luke lived on love and kindness. One personality becomes the dominant one when those feelings are at their highest. I had been careful to keep my head filled with my feelings, overpowering Luke's love, and kindness, but now all I could sense was happiness. It was horrible. Luke was pouring all his memories back. Images of Jessica smiling. Luke laughing. Holidays on the beach.
'Stop it!' I screamed, suddenly overwhelmed by these sickening pictures.
Luke was relentless and continued to rebuild the synapses I had taken control over. I had to fight back, and I willed the hated I felt back into my head.
'Stop it! Stop!' I had to stop Luke.

He was good. Whatever Luke was doing was working, and all I could think about was happiness. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't think straight. My vision was getting hazy, and I called out, pleading for the pounding to stop. Luke laughed and hammered harder, smashing open the door, and bursting out from his prison. He understood the game, and I had lost. But I would be back. It was then that his phone rang, vibrating in my pocket. I still had a few moments before I disappeared into the bowels of his head. Barely able to move, I pulled the phone out and looked at the display. It was Russell. How fortunate, because I had a plan, and this time it involved Luke. I quieted my thoughts, keeping them to myself, and slipped away out of Luke's reach, vanishing like a snake, deep into his subconscious. Luke was back, but not for long.