Russell

Russell finished speaking to the doctor and stormed off toward his bed. He was raging, after being told he was not mad and was now free to leave. The doctors assumed that because he had driven the Mini off the bridge, he had attempted to take his own life, never once believing that someone had tried to kill. His pleas sounded like the ravings of a mad man, and after admitting him, the hospital pumped Russell full of who-knows-what to calm him down.

Two days later, they finally believed him. The police had told him they found footage of someone deliberately forcing him off the bridge. Two days of his life spent in this miserable place. Two days lost, all because one person had tried to kill him. When the police asked Russell if he knew who had driven into him, Russell immediately told them what he had been telling the nurses and doctors.
Luke.

'And why would Luke, Mr Hill force you off the road?' asked the tall police officer.
Russell had studied him, looking at his thinning hair, his worn face and sharp suit, wondering the same question himself. All he could do was shake his head. Why would Luke try to kill him? That is all he had thought about.
'Do you know where he might be?' continued the officer.
Again, Russell shook his head. Another good question. When Luke had shown up with Louise at the hospital, Russell had been paralysed with fear, believing that Luke had come to finish the job. It had sent Russell into a fit of fear, only fuelling the assumption that Russell was a lunatic. It was Luke who was the lunatic and Russell struggled to understand why his best friend would do something like that. Why would Luke try to kill him?

Russell grabbed his things and matched toward the reception area. The mean looking nurse who had constantly pumped clear liquid into his veins smiled politely. Russell frowned and grabbed the form from her hand.
'Mr Knight. Please except my apologies.' The nurse smiled again, trying to comfort Russell. Yet, it was no comfort. Two days lost in this place.
'Whatever!' replied Russell. He dropped the form and it gently drifted in the air toward the floor.

Louise had offered to wait and take Russell home, but after their conversation, Russell was unsettled by what she had told him. He needed time to process the information. He would catch the bus and that would give him time to ponder over what she had told him.
'You're telling me Luke didn't do this?' he had asked, his voice betraying his sincerity.
'Luke is suffering from a personality disorder. It's like he has two people inside him. One Luke, and one who calls himself Sam,' said Louise, hoping to help Russell understand.
'Two people! Doesn't matter what he has, Luke killed my Debbie, and he will have to pay.'
'Russell, please. It wasn't Luke who killed Debbie. It was Sam. Luke doesn't have any control over this disorder. From what he told me, Sam is Luke's subconscious, storing away all the hate and pain Luke goes through, hiding it, and then acting on it. We all have things buried away, things that we would we like to do, but our moral compass stops us from doing horrible things. Our subconscious hides it away. But not Luke. When his subconscious takes over, when Sam takes over, all those horrible things become normal behaviour.'
'I told you,' interrupted Russell. 'I don't care. Luke could be an alien for all I care, he killed those people, he killed Debbie.'
His voice broke up, and Russell coughed trying to suppress the sorrow in his voice.
'I'm sorry Russell, truly sorry, but Luke needs our help. I'm worried that Sam will take over. When I saw them both, Luke was the dominate one, able to control his mind, unaware of Sam's existence. Sam only appeared when Luke was sleeping, leaving Luke oblivious to his actions. I think Sam will break through and take control of Luke's mind. When that happens, Luke will become stuck and trapped in his own head. We have to help him.'
'No!' yelled Russell. 'I'm not helping him. I told you, I don't care! Tell me where he is. I need to have a chat with him.'

Louise had pleaded for his help, but Russell ignored her, telling her he was going to kill Luke.
'Why did he do this?' asked Russell, finally calming down.
'Jessica,' said Louise. 'It's all because of Jessica's affair with Alan.'
'What? I don't understand.'
'You knew, didn't you?' asked Louise.
'Yeah. Debbie told me that Jessica wanted to end things with Alan. I couldn't tell Luke; it would have crushed him.'
'That's the problem. Luke knew all along, and Sam stored it away, hiding the truth from Luke. It was a way a protecting Luke and clearing up his mess. You lied and betrayed Luke, and Sam wanted to make you pay.'
'That's ridiculous!' exclaimed Russell.
'I know it doesn't make sense, but Luke is not responsible. We must help him, before Sam hurts anyone else. Before he hurts us.'

Louise then told Russell about the attempt on her life. How Sam had tried to burn her alive from a gas leak by breaking into her apartment, hiding in the shadows, and disappearing without a trace. Then she related how Luke had managed to break out and save Louise before she died horrible.
'You see Russell, Luke is trying to help. He is fighting an enemy he cannot escape from and we need to help him.'
'No! No! I'm going to kill him.' Russell was angry. His voice was rising. 'That will help him. Luke won't have to fight Sam anyone, because he will be dead.'

Russell had lost theonly thing he cared about, and now Debbie was gone, he had nothing left tolose. He did not care about his own life, all he cared about was vengeance.Luke had taken something away from Russell, and now Luke would lose everything.
Despite his bravado, Russellthought about Louise's words. Luke was sick. Could she really help him? Hedoubted it. Yet, he did care about Louise. They were not close, only seeingeach other on holidays, but she was Jessica's sister, and he loved Jessica likehis own sister. If Louise was going to try and Luke help, she was puttingherself in danger. From the little he knew, Sam was dangerous.
Russell was determined to find Luke first, and when he did, nobody could stophim. Luke could put up a fight, Sam could try and stop him, but Russell wouldkill Luke, no matter how hard it was.