Ch. 1 Soon, You Will Be Mine

I stopped at the entrance to my apartment. The door was wide open. I pulled out my phone and dialed nine-one-one hovering my finger above the call button as I stepped over my threshold and inside. I looked quickly around my studio apartment, but nothing seemed amiss. Then my eyes fell on my bed. There was a bouquet of white roses lying on my pillow. I kicked the door shut behind me and locked it, making my way to my bed. I picked up the roses and a little card fell out. A chill ran up my spine as I picked up the card and opened it.

Soon, you will be mine.
Yours truly

My breath hitched. This must be some kind of prank right?

I flicked through my contacts until I got to the right one and called. He picked up on the third ring.

"Hey, what's up?"

I tossed the flowers back on my bed and sat down.

"You're hilarious, Jackson." I said. "Truly very funny."

I could hear his confusion through the phone.

"Huh? What'd I do this time?"

"Don't play dumb. I know it was you." But uncertainty started to spin through my body.

"What was me? I swear I didn't do anything, Kasey."

I glanced back at the flowers and worry slid through me.

"You didn't leave flowers in my apartment?"

"What? No." He replied. "You got flowers?"

I bit my lip. "Yeah, and a note. It's gotta be a prank. I just thought it was you cause you're the only one with a key to my apartment."

"Wait, in your apartment? Someone was in your apartment? You didn't leave the door unlocked again, did you?"

"No, I didn't. That was one time, Jackson."

I ran my hand through my purple streaked brown hair, unease biting at my skin.

"What did the note say?" He asked.

I picked it up again, staring at the neat typed words.

"Soon you will be mine. From yours truly."

There was silence at the other end of the line.

"Jackson?"

"That's creepy, Kase." He said lowly. "You should call the police."

"And tell them what?" I retorted. "Someone broke into my apartment and gave me flowers? What are they gonna do about it?"

"I don't know, search for fingerprints, maybe?" He said like I was stupid. "If you don't do it, I will."

I exhaled in frustration. "Fine. I'm hanging up now then."

"You better call them. I'll know if you don't."

"Yeah, right, you will." I rolled my eyes.

"I have my ways." He said ominously.

"Goodbye, Jackson." I hung up the phone, but I hesitated before calling the police.

I didn't want to bother them. Nothing was missing and my door wasn't busted or anything. Was there really any point? Just for a prank?

My phone dinged.

Jackson: Call the damn police, Kasey.

I sighed and looked up the number for the police station. I certainly wasn't going to dial nine-one-one when I wasn't in immediate danger.