Ch. 6 I Need To Show You That You're Mine

My hands were shaking.

I reached up and gripped the steering wheel as the light turned green.

After last night, I couldn't sleep, couldn't think, could hardly breathe. I was exhausted and I looked like a zombie, but I didn't care.

I pulled into her driveway and parked the car.

I had to see her. I just had to. Even if I couldn't tell her anything. I just wanted her comfort. I wanted her to be there with me.

I walked up to the door and raised my hand to knock just as my phone chimed. My stomach dropped and my shaky hands pulled out my phone.

Unknown: I wouldn't do that if I were you.

My mouth was suddenly dry. Tears pricked at my eyes.

How dare he try to deny me this comfort?!

But still, I turned to leave. I couldn't risk it.

The door behind me opened and Hailey stepped out onto the porch.

"Kasey? What are you doing here?"

I turned back to her and she took one look at my teary eyes and pulled me inside.

"Kasey, what's wrong?"

I broke down sobbing and she pulled me into her arms and held me.

"Shh, shh," She murmured. "It's okay. It'll be okay."

When I finally calmed down she let go of me and guided me to the couch. She sat down beside me, her thigh touching mine. She grabbed my hands in hers and looked me in the eyes.

"What's wrong?"

I sucked in a deep breath. I couldn't tell her the truth, obviously, but a variant of it...

"Elliot's dead."

Her eyes widened and her hands tightened around mine.

"What? How?"

I shook my head. "I don't know. Someone killed him. I found the body, Hailey. It was outside my apartment." Tears slipped down my cheeks and Hailey reached up and wiped them away with her thumb.

"God, I'm sorry. You shouldn't have had to go through that. That's terrible."

I leaned my head on her shoulder.

"Who could have done such a thing?" She murmured.

"I don't know." And for the first time, it was the truth.

He said he was someone I knew, but I didn't know that many people.

Jackson. Cole. Chase. It couldn't be one of them, could it?

I remembered when I suspected Cole. He showed up right when my stalker texted me that he was closer than I thought. He was on his phone when I received texts from my stalker. He didn't like Hailey just like my stalker. And he was a little possessive. But his phone didn't light up when I texted my stalker. It didn't make sense.

It couldn't be Cole, could it? He wasn't capable of doing something like this. Was he?

I was starting to doubt everything.

What if it was Chase? Or Jackson? But that was impossible. I'd known Jackson for years and Chase was always so sweet and timid. He wasn't capable of this. None of them were capable of this.

So who could it be?

I tried to think of my other coworkers, but they were all girls. Except for my boss. But my boss didn't have the same body type as the boy that was in my apartment.