Ch. 8 This Way You're All Mine

I woke up with a blaring headache.

And he was by my side, his arm lying across my stomach. I looked over at him, at his gentle face hidden by strands of his soft black hair.

Tears pricked my eyes but I wouldn't let them fall.

It was Chase? All this time? I'd confided in him. I'd trusted him. I'd even liked him. Why would he do something like this to me?

I needed to get out of here.

I lifted his arm cautiously and slid out from underneath him, slowly lowering his arm back down to the bed. I crept towards the door and tried the knob. To my surprise it opened and I stepped out into a living area.

It was nicely furnished with woodsy, naturistic decor, and it was small. I spotted the kitchen across the way. All the windows were boarded shut. But there was a door straight ahead. I rushed to it and tugged at the handle, but it wouldn't open. Then I saw the keypad.

Damnit.

I kicked the door in frustration.

He chuckled behind me.

I spun around, my back falling against the door.

"Ch-Chase--" I stammered.

A small smirk tilted up the corners of his lips.

"Kasey." He said. "Good morning."

He stepped towards me and I tensed. He sighed.

"I'm not going to hurt you."

"You've already hurt me." I breathed. "It was you? This whole time it was you?"

He nodded.

I sucked in a sharp breath. "Why?"

He tilted his head at me. "What do you mean?"

"I mean why?!" I snapped. I pushed away from the door and stepped towards him. "Why did you do this? Huh? Why? You were my friend. I even liked you. You didn't need to do this. So why?"

He sighed. "Because, Kasey, you would've never truly been mine. Your attention would have been divided between your friends and work and Hailey." He spat her name like it was dirt. "This way you're all mine. Only mine."

I felt sick. "You're crazy."

He stepped towards me. "No. I just know what I want. And I do whatever I have to to get it."

"Chase, you have to let me go." I begged. "You're going to get caught. Go to jail. Just let me go and I'll forget this ever happened. We can move on with our lives--"

"I don't want to move on!" He snapped and I flinched. He took in a deep breath and pinched the bridge of his nose. "I'm sorry. It's been a long night." He looked up at me, his green eyes piercing. "Don't you get it by now? All I want is you, Kasey. I've been watching you for years, waiting, planning, working hard so we could have a decent life together."

"I don't want a life with you." I said quietly. "Not after everything you've done."

He just stared at me with heavy eyes and I had to look away.

"You've killed people, Chase." I whispered.

"Two people. And you can't say Elliot didn't deserve it. And you're the one who got that guy at the gas station killed. I couldn't have him telling the police where we were, could I?"

"And Cole?"

He sighed. "Cole was an unfortunate coincidence. You weren't listening to me about Hailey. He was close by." He shrugged.