Ch. 2 I Wouldn't Do That If I Were You

I froze, my thumb hovering above the call button.

How could they see me? How did they know what I was doing?

I got another text.

Unknown: Do you really want to test me?

I bit my lip and pressed call. It was only seconds later when a third text appeared on my screen and I'd never killed a call so fast.

It was a picture of Jackson, sleeping in his bed with a knife to his throat.

My fingers flew across the screen as I typed.

Me: Please don't hurt him.

Unknown: I won't if you behave.

Me: I won't call the police. I promise. Just leave him alone.

My hands shook so bad.

Unknown: Good choice.

I bit my lip and waited anxiously, but I received no more texts form my stalker, no confirmation they hadn't hurt Jackson, no evidence that they had.

Needless to say, I didn't sleep at all the rest of the night.

-

The next morning all I could feel was fear as I turned off my alarm, as I showered, as I dressed, as I left my apartment, locked the door and headed down to my car.

I couldn't shake it.

Was Jackson okay? Did they hurt him?

I couldn't get the thoughts out of my head. I pulled out my phone and called him.

He picked up on the fifth ring.

"Kasey, do you have any idea what time it is?"

I nearly sighed in relief at the sound of Jackson's voice.

"It's only 6:30." I replied, trying to keep my voice light. I couldn't give anything away. Not yet. "How are you? Did you sleep okay?"

I could hear the confusion in his tone as he replied. "Like a baby. Why are you calling, Kase?"

I bit my lip. "Just wanted to check in, is all."

"Seriously." He prodded. "You know I don't wake up till like 11. You never call this early. Is something going on?"

"No." I chuckled nervously. "I'm fine, for real."

"Kasey--"

"Well, I'm at work now. Got to go. Love ya, bye." I hung up quickly and tucked my phone back in my pocket.

I was still five minutes away from work but he didn't have to know that.

I pulled into a parking spot at the back of the parking lot and headed to the bookstore. My boss greeted me at the door and I got to work opening up.

The day passed by slowly. I couldn't stop thinking about the stalker, about what they could do, about what might happen to me. I was scared, really scared, more scared than I'd ever felt before, but there was nothing I could do.

Except maybe get better locks for my apartment.

It was the end of my shift and I was packing up my bag when the door to the breakroom opened. I glanced up, but it was only Elliot, one of my coworkers. He smiled at me and I smiled back.

"Afternoon, Kasey." He said.

"Afternoon." I replied.

He hesitated. "Hey, I was wondering... There's this fancy new restaurant that just opened down the street. I was thinking we could go there later tonight after my shift."