Chapter Nine *Edited*

When you find out who you are, you find out what you need

~Mama Odie, The Princess and the Frog

Chapter 9.

Zoey's voice is filled with disbelief as she gazes at me. "You are a white wolf," she utters, her eyes widening in surprise. "I knew there was something special about you, but I never imagined it would be that."

Alpha Xavier, the leader of our pack, glances around warily, his eyes scanning the area for any signs of danger. "Zoey, lower your tone," he scolds her sternly, his voice low and commanding.

Zoey rolls her eyes, clearly annoyed at being reprimanded. "Don't roll your eyes at me," Alpha Xavier warns her sharply. "We can't discuss everything in the open, and this is one of them. We will put Ava and ourselves in danger if someone hears it."

He's right, of course. Our secret is too important to be shared with just anyone. I can feel my heart racing as I listen to their conversation, the weight of their words sinking in.

"Besides, can't you see her trembling?" Zoey asks, her eyes flickering to me. "She's freezing from the cold!"

I glance down at my arms and notice the goosebumps on my skin. It had been noon when I headed out for my run, but now it was nearly night. I was so caught up in my exercise that I didn't notice that much time had passed or that the weather had drastically changed.

A chilly breeze has replaced the sun's warmth, and the sky is darkening rapidly. It might even snow soon.

"Let's go back," Alpha Xavier orders, his voice firm and decisive. "We'll talk about it in my office."

We nod in agreement, silently following him as he leads us back to the safety of our pack's headquarters.

*************************************************************

The desk's dark brown paint is more interesting than anything else, as I'm in Alpha Xavier's office with him and his Beta. Zoey is... I don't know where Zoey is. I lost her when I went to get changed into something warmer. Wherever she is, I pray she hurries up. It's bizarre to be in the company of two men sporting a poker face and are probably mind-linking each other.

Then the door opens, and everyone turns to face the person that enters. Well, except for me.

"Drink the tea to calm yourself." Zoey places a mug in front of me. "Be careful. It's hot." She cautions me.

She smiles encouragingly before sitting on the arm of Alpha Xavier's chair.

"When you're ready, we're here."

I seek for the tea's comfort. I clasp the mug in my hands, occasionally sipping on the chamomile.

"To understand my life, you need to know my back story.You only know my name and that my mate rejected me. I'm originally from the BlueMoon pack, and the soon-to-be Alpha was my mate."