Chapter Thirteen *Edited*

There is nothing stronger than 

a woman who has rebuilt herself.

~Hannah Gadsby

Chapter 13.

*Trigger Warning: Assault*

Can you believe it's the day of the ball? Because I can't. At first, I was a nervous wreck thinking about it, but then I thought: 'Why are you behaving like you did something wrong? If someone is supposed to be scared, it should be them.'

It was a battle with myself, and I had to remind myself of that same sentence, but it's slowly getting engraved in my mind. They say practice makes perfect. I'll practice passiveness until it becomes a part of me. I've been through enough on their hands. Now that something good is happening to me, I won't let them ruin it for me again. I'm getting a new name -more like retrieving my real one- and pairing it with a new attitude.

I have a great support system: my parents. Every chance they got, they reminded me that I was worth more, were patient while I adjusted, and lent me a shoulder to cry on when I broke down.

Also, I met my siblings for the first time. They're twins, a boy and a girl, and they're adorable. Their names are Aris and Areti, and they're three years old. Aris got his name from the Greek god of war to signify the powerful man he will become, while Areti is named after the Greek goddess of virtue and represents the virtue she already holds. Despite being identical twins, they have very different personalities. Areti is a vibrant, energetic, and impulsive child, while Aris is introverted, quiet, and a bookworm. It took some time for Aris to warm up to me, but the shopping spree I went on to buy them toys helped me crack his shield. Areti, on the other hand, was much more open to me from the beginning. While my personality is more on par with Aris's, I love them equally.

"You look beautiful, honey, like the real princess that you are." My mum compliments me, putting the fallen strand of hair behind my ear.

Oh, didn't I tell you?

I started calling them mum and dad.

A few days ago, I addressed them, Mum and Dad. They were shocked but delighted at the same time. My dad even shed a tear or two, and according to Marquise, that's a rare occurrence. The first few times felt forced, but it felt more real as I kept practicing. I'm almost there now.

"She resembles you when I first met you at my birthday ball. She's as stunning and elegant as you were." Dad cuts in.

"What are you doing here? I thought you were to keep the guests entertained."

Dad kisses Mum on the lips lightly and then pecks my forehead. "I will in a second. There's something that belongs to Ava and will complete her look."

He pulls out a blue, velvety jewelry case