Chapter Twenty-Three *Edited*

The naked truth is always better than the best-dressed lie

The naked truth is always better than the best-dressed lie.~Ann Landers.

Chapter 23.

Zoey's pov.

"Come on, Sophia. Please, pick it up!" I frantically dial Sophia's phone multiple times, but the call fails to connect.

"Xavier! I'm in the living room. Please, hurry!" Feeling increasingly anxious, I mindlink my mate, panicking.

He's standing before me less than a minute later, hardly fazed after running here. With eyebrows furrowed and his lips in a grim line, Xavier asks, "What's wrong?"

"I need help." I point outside. "The King is coming here looking for Sophia."

"But Sophia isn't here."

I roll my eyes in annoyance. "I know! That's why I need your help. Sophia lied to her parents, claiming she was visiting us. Instead, she traveled to Alaska with Julian to find her adoptive parents."

"Why didn't you say anything?" He frustratingly asks.

"Ididn't expect the King would come knocking at our door looking for his daughter!" I throw my hands in the air.

Xavier clicks his tongue and scratches his head. "Where is he?"

"He has just crossed the border."

He nods. "I'll go buy some time. In the meantime, call Sophia and urge her to get here as soon as possible."

I get on my tiptoes and plant a brief kiss on his lips. "I owe you one."

"You're lucky I love you." He melts into the kiss before sighing and walking out the door.

" He melts into the kiss before sighing and walking out the door

Sophia's/Ava's pov.

"I sprint to the packhouse, but the road feels endless as the sun is blazing, making me sweat profusely," I say, gasping for air.

"Idon't think I can do it," I confess to Julian, slowing my pace.

"Don't do this to me, Sophy! We're nearly there!" He holds my hand, pulling me along with him.