Ch. II : Bright

NOW READING:
Chapter II : Bright

~~~~~~~~~~

"All of your friends have been here for too long
They must be waiting for you to move on
Girl, I'm not with it, I'm way too far gone
I'm not ready, eyes heavy now."

~~~~~~~~~~

The sound of the studio door opening makes me look up from where I'm sitting.

"Oh, hey Flynn- Are you crying?" Julie starts, noticing that the girl's eyes are red and watery.

"Oh God." I say, putting the guitar back on its stand. Let's just say I've never been the best at comforting people – it was always more in Alex's lane. "You guys talk, I'll get the car started."

I give Flynn a quick hug before leaving through the side door, which opens out into the backyard.

I walk through the house to pick up my bag, then grab my keys from the bowl on the entryway table. I managed to find a key ring in some thrift store that's almost identical to the one I used to have.

Carlos and Ray have already left, so I lock the front door behind me before cutting across the front yard to get to my car.

Unlocking the doors, I jump in the drivers seat. I put mine bag on the passenger side seat.

Turning the key in the ignition, the radio instantly comes on, blaring on about some sports game from last night.

Connecting my phone to the cars bluetooth, I press play on my go to Spotify playlist.

Rebel Rebel by David Bowie starts playing through the car speakers. Turning the volume up a few notches, I hum along to the familiar song.

Alex and I used to listen to David Bowie all the time. We must have had every one of his albums on vinyl.

"Rebel rebel, you've torn your dress. Rebel rebel, your face is a mess." I sing along quietly.

By the end of the song, I see Flynn and Julie coming up the driveway.

Julie gets in the passenger side as Flynn climbs into the back.

I turn my music down a bit as I fasten my seatbelt. Just as I'm about to drive away, I notice Flynn glaring at me in the rear view mirror.

"What's up with you?" I question, playfully glaring back at her.

"Why didn't you tell me you sing?"

"What?"

"Or that you can play guitar?"

"Look, I-"

She cuts me off. "No. I don't wanna hear your excuses."

"Does it matter?"

"Yes. Yes it does."

"I used to play about with some chords. That's all there is to it."

"Can we go now?" Julie asks. "I have a bio test to fail."

Shit. "That was today?!"

"You're screwed." Flynn comments as I rest my head down on the steering wheel.

"Whatever." I lift my head up and pull the car away from the curb.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Believe me Julie, I think it's wonderful that you sang again." Mrs Harrison says as she places music sheets around the room. "I prayed for this moment for almost a year. But it's too late."