Part 28

After being rudely woken up by Julie jumping on top of me, we both got ready for school and started heading downstairs for breakfast.

We enter the kitchen to find Ray and Reggie singing Finally Free, all while making breakfast.

Ray.

Cooking.

Not something I thought I'd wake up to see today.

"This is new." Julie points out.

Ray stops singing and looks up at us. "Yeah. I was in the mood for cooking some breakfast."

Reggie quietly laughs to himself. "He thought you were talking to him." He says, before continuing. "Me and your dad are pals now. It's a little one-sided, but it works."

Ray continues to talk to us, not having heard Reggie. Obviously. "Look after the talk we had the other night, I was thinking that I may have cost you an opportunity with that manager. So, I was thinking-"

That's dangerous.

Jk, jk. It's only dangerous when I do it.

"Dad, no. We should've never snuck out." Julie protests.

"Well-" I'm cut off by Julie elbowing me in the stomach. Hard.

"Let the man speak. He's been stress eating all week." Reggie adds in. "I don't know where he puts it though. It's like... firm."

Oh. That doesn't sound quite right.

"I know, but I really want to support your band, so I called some favors and I booked you a local gig." Ray finishes.

"Best dad ever!" Reggie says. "What?"

"Oh my gosh! Where?" Julie asks.

Who even says 'Gosh' anymore? It just sounds old.

Not that I can talk, but still.

"Did you call your buddy from Drakes?" I question.

"Not quite. I called Flynn, and she's gonna help us throw a party."

Cool.

"Here."

Oh.

"Tonight."

What the fuck...

Julie puts on the fakest look of excitement I have ever seen. "Oh. So you booked us a gig at our house?"

"Maybe I was early on the 'Best dad ever' award." Reggie adds.

"All right, hear me out. You invite some of your friends over, you play with your band, and I'll get some colleagues to put you on film." Ray explains. "That way you have some professional for your 'YouTube'."

That's actually quite smart.

"You'd do that for us?" I ask him.

"Yeah." Ray nods.

"Back to 'best dad ever.' I'll go tell the guys." Reggie says. "Have a good day at work Ray." He pauses, kinda like he actually thinks Ray might acknowledge him. "It's cool. You don't have to answer." He says, before poofing off to find the others.

After speed eating the breakfast Ray made, Julie and I get in my car and head off to pick up Flynn for school.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two periods later and Julie is digging through her locker for something as I lean next to her, half listening to the guy on the PA system. Something about the marching band and pancakes...