Part 27

I watch the boys disappear as I take a seat in the back of Ray's car next to Julie.

"What happened out there?" She asks.

"Don't worry about it."

"Well, it's clearly bothering you, so-" She's cut off by Ray opening the driver's side door. "Just try and forget about it for the time being."

"What are we talking about?" Ray asks as he starts up the car.

"Nothing." Julie and I both mutter.

Within the minute, we're out on the road and headed back to the house.

The rest of the car ride is silent, seeming like it'll never end.

When we finally arrive back home, all I want to do is take a hot shower and go to sleep. But no, Ray has to have a little chat with us first. Outside. In the cold.

"Girls, we need to talk. After skipping school, missing a test, you decided to sneak out even though I told you to go to your room and study?"

"I know. We're sorry." Julie apologizes, speaking for us both.

"Yeah, you keep saying that." He says. "If you'd just... let me in, I could've been excited about tonight instead of having this conversation we all hate." He pauses, looking between us. "Why didn't you tell me you were in a band?"

"It all just happened so fast."

"Yeah, no shit." I mumble.

"Language." Ray says, giving me a stern look.

"These last couple of weeks have changed my life. When I play music, I feel so much closer to mom." Julie admits.

"And I love that. You know I do. But your Tia is right, school needs to come first."

"I know, but without the band, I would've never made it back into the music program." Ray gives Julie a confused look at this. "They played with me when I was trying to earn back my spot." She explains.

"They did?"

"I think this is my thing, Dad." She says.

"Well, I'd be a jerk of a dad if I took that away from you." Ray jokes.

"Yes, you would. And no one wants to be a jerk." I add in, earning a pointed look from both Julie and Ray.

"Look, if you're gonna stay in this band, you need to keep up with school and you need to keep me in the loop."

"Really?" Julie asks excitedly.

"Yeah." He replies.

"Thanks, Papa."

"Hey, so that lady at your show, she was, like, some sort of manager, right? Could've been a big deal."

What manager?

"Who knows." Julie shrugs, meanwhile I'm still confused. "Hopefully, she'll get to see us play again."

"Which you WILL be informed of." I add.

"Oh yeah I will. Cause if I ever catch either of you two trying to sneak out again, or if your grades slip." I don't think that second bit is directed at me. "I'm gonna pull the plug. Or whatever it is that make those holograms work."

One word, Ray, one word. Magic.

"Do I ever get to meet these guys?" He asks.

No. They're magic. You can't meet magic people.

"Probably not. They don't even live here. It's kinda confusing." Julie answers. "But being seen isn't really their thing."

"You kids and technology. It's definitely beyond me."