Chapter 55

"Well, you see. Rhianne can attract people not only because of her looks and personality but also because of her family background and status."

"...Oh."

"I am just afraid that Rhianne will befriend someone again who is just after her status and money. Knowing Rhianne, she will either question herself if she did something wrong or if she did something to hurt the other person. She is too soft and a crybaby, you know?"

"Again? What do you mean by that?" Candice asked.

Keith let out a sigh again. It actually happened once when they were in high school.

A year after Andrew left the city, Keith and Rhianne became an inseparable pair. At that time, they had a new transferee student who also became their classmate. Keith cannot remember her full name, but that girl was called Donna. 

She was introduced by their school adviser before asking Rhianne to help Donna to adjust in their class. Rhianne accepted the task before she introduced herself to their new classmate. When the transferee student discovered that Rhianne is the little princess of the Cartel family, she quickly befriended her and became a sticky gum on her side.

Keith instantly hated that girl named Donna. That girl was too clingy and touchy towards Rhianne. She even tried to insert herself between them. There were times when Donna will pretend that she and Keith were as close as her relationship with Rhianne. But when that girl failed to get Keith's attention or interest, he only saw her let out a sigh before she choose to be more clingy to Rhianne.

Though he does not like that girl named Donna, Keith still gave her a benefit of the doubt. It was because he saw Rhianne treating her well. She treated that girl with the same kindness and gentleness she gave to their other classmates. Keith even thought that he was just being paranoid or his dislike towards strangers was acting up again so he tried to mellow down his doubts towards Donna.

But only one incident completely changed his mind.

There was a time when Keith came to their school late because the car their driver used that day suddenly got a flat tire. When he arrived at their school, Keith was confused when he did not see Rhianne sitting on the chair next to him. Worried, he started to look for her everywhere. According to their other classmates, they saw Rhianne go out together with Donna.

After a few minutes, Keith finally saw the girl he was looking for. She was standing near the guardhouse together with their new annoying classmate. Keith noticed that Donna was trying to persuade Rhianne with something. Curious, he decided to observe first. He actually does not need to secretly eavesdrop on their conversation since that Donna's irritating voice was loud enough for him to hear.

"Please, Rhianne? Can you give it to me as a gift on my upcoming birthday this weekend?"

"But that is so..."

Keith saw Rhianne's troubled expression. That girl has a bad habit of biting her lower lips whenever she was really troubled about something. Keith frowned when he saw that. It was rare for Rhianne to behave that kind of expression since she is always full of happy thoughts lately.

"Please, Rhianne? That bag is just cheap for you anyway. I bet you can buy three of it if you want." Donna still tried to persuade Rhianne.

"Donna, I think I saw that bag on a commercial last night and it is so expensive. But instead of buying that kind of expensive bag, we should save our money to use for something more important. Okay?" Rhianne said in a mild voice.

"You really know how to joke, Rhianne." Donna said with a smile. "Our other classmates are using branded bags and shoes that are far more expensive than what I am asking you to buy for my birthday. It is just a purse. Like what I have said, you can buy it easily because you are rich. So please, Rhianne? We are friends, right?"

Keith can still remember that his blood boiled in anger when he heard those words. By just listening to their conversation, Keith can already guess what was happening. Their new classmate named Donna wants to receive an expensive gift from Rhianne. And she was using their so-called friendship to force Rhianne to give her what she wants.

Keith left the two of them without calling Rhianne. He already heard enough. After that, Keith told his brother Calvin about what he heard in the two girls' conversation. After his story, Calvin told him not to worry about their transferee student anymore and just focus on how he can get Rhianne's affection. Calvin even teased him saying he will personally find another suitor for Rhianne if he fails to make her his sister-in-law in the future.

Before leaving, Calvin told him that humans are usually greedy. People desire to have the things they cannot afford to get for the sake of fame and satisfying their greed. Calvin also taught him to be cautious of these kinds of people. After telling him those words, Calvin left their house saying that he still have to work overnight in the hospital.

The next day, they were all surprised to know that Donna, their new classmate, suddenly changed schools. Someone from their class asked their adviser the reason for her sudden decision. According to their adviser, Donna's family was transferred to another city so she also has to change schools. That was the reason their adviser told them, but Keith was aware that his brother had something to do with it.

Keith saw Rhianne she was a little saddened because of it. It seems like this dense girl treated that Donna as a friend. When he asked her about it, Rhianne told him that she failed to remind Donna one more time not to splurge too much money on things that can be easily replaced. Keith snorted deep inside while thinking that people like Donna will not easily change just because she gave her that kind of advice. Though it was rude, but he was relieved that she was no longer in their school to bother Rhianne again.

From that day onwards, Keith became more worried for his girl. He is wary of Rhianne's new friends not because he is afraid that she will forget him or he is jealous of them, but because he does not want Rhianne to feel betrayed by those people she treated as friends.

"Since you are not like those people, then I think it will be better. Just be a good friend to Rhianne. She really likes you as a friend, you know?"

"There is no need for you to say that. I also like Rhianne. How I wish I have a sister like her."

"Just do not hurt or betray her, then we are good." Keith reminded Candice.

"Psh. I am not stupid to hurt or betray the person who helped me a lot of times, okay?"

"If you say so, then sure." Keith replied with a shrug.

Candice suddenly let out a deep sigh. It only took her a few minutes to change her evaluation towards this man. Her original thought that no man is deserving of Rhianne is still not changing. But after knowing Keith's reasons for being wary of her, Candice thought that she can trust him more than the other boys who want to be close with Rhianne.

"Keith, I apologize for my rude actions towards you until now." It was Candice who first apologized to Keith.

"It was nothing. I am equally rude to you so we can call it quits." Keith said. "So can we now have a truce?"

"Fine. But I am still watching you. My friendship with Rhianne is something that cannot be compared with yours, but I am also valuing her as my precious friend. She is literally a fairy. How can a pheasant like you desires to be her boyfriend?"

"Great. A tiny boss has suddenly appeared in my long journey." Keith said with a sigh.

"What are you talking about now?" Candice asked with a sigh.

Even this guy has the same habit of whispering weird things that is similar to Rhianne. Is that even a trend nowadays?

"Nothing." Keith dismissed it.

So what if Candice does not like him? All he cares about is Rhianne's feelings. No matter how much trouble they give to him, it is still Rhianne who will give the final decision and answer for him. And Keith will not stop until he succeeds on this path of courtship.