75

-

"We'll be okay, love. I promise you that." James whispered to Y/n, followed by him giving her a kiss. 

-

"Okay. I think this is the right thing to do. It's hard, but, I think this is it." muttered James. He had finally come to terms with the fact that Y/n and him only had one option. James took a deep breath as his quill flew on the piece of paper that he was writing on. 

Y/n patiently sat as James wrote the letter to Peter Pettigrew. 

She didn't even want to read the letter before her and James sent it. She didn't want to come to terms with the fact that this whole situation was real

"Almost done..." whispered James as he concluded the fancy-looking letter. Surprisingly, James had beautiful handwriting. Most people would assume that James had messy handwriting. In reality, his writing looked like the work of the most talented calligrapher. 

Y/n was still silent. There really wasn't anything to say at this moment. Both her and James felt the same way, and there was no need to get emotional again.

"And there we go." James stated, as he proudly held up the letter that he wrote addressed to none other than Peter Pettigrew. It was as if for a moment, James forgot the purpose of the letter. He was staring at it with nothing but pride.

But, then, he caught a glimpse of Y/n's upset face. That was all he needed to remember what he was writing for. Another burst of sadness hit James, and it appeared on his expression as well. Y/n noticed.

"It's okay, James. This is our only option, and we'll be safe." she reassured him, with a gentle smile on her face. James smiled back. Both of them knew that the smiles were fake. 

"Do you want to read it?" James asked Y/n, therefore breaking the deafening silence that they were both sitting in. They were at their kitchen table, writing the letter. Their house didn't feel like a home anymore. All of their necessary items had been packed, as the two were ready to leave to Godric's Hollow as soon as possible. 

"No... I don't think I can. I mean, I will if you want me t-" Y/n began, but was interrupted by James right away. 

"No, it's fine. I don't even want to read it either." he responded, looking down at the letter. This time, he didn't have the look of pride on his face. This time, he just looked miserable. 

"I think we should send it now." Y/n said, and James nodded. 

- t i m e   s k i p -

Dear Y/n and James Potter, 

 I am so honoured that you have trusted me enough to ask something like this. I want you to know that I would be more than happy to be your Secret Keeper, and know that I will not let you down no matter what. I am so sorry to hear about this situation that you two are in; please know that things will be fine and there is no need to stress too much.

 On another note, perhaps, a happier note, congratulations! I am so happy to hear about you two being happily married. So sorry that I couldn't make it to the wedding, some very important things got in the way. Either way, all the love to you two and I hope you live wonderful lives together. 

Things will be fine, I'm sure of it. You guys can trust me, I'd never let you down. 

Your friend, 

P. Pettigrew 

"Wow, that was a quick response." sighed Y/n, not wanting to think about Peter's kind letter too much. 

Y/n and James had both already read it. They had read it as soon as it arrived, despite the fact that it had reached their location at a rather late time of day. 

"Well... that's great, right? I don't know, this whole situation feels so wrong." James stated. Y/n nodded. The two were sitting on the living room couch, the letter resting on the coffee table across from them. 

Y/n and James sat in silence for a moment. The two just didn't know what to say. Along with that, they were also zoned out. Zoned out, trying to believe that this was reality. Zoned out, wishing things were just different

"It'll be fine,"

said Y/n and James. 

It was quite funny. They had both said it in unison, out of nowhere. They didn't know if they were trying to comfort themselves, or one another. 

Y/n and James looked at each other, and lightly chuckled. It wasn't unusual for them to say the same thing at the same time, but this time it just wasn't worth laughing about.

"No, really. It'll be fine. I promise you. I won't let anything happen to you Y/n, and I won't let anything happen to Harry. I swear. I'll protect you two with my life and more if that's what it comes to." James stated, looking Y/n right in the eyes during the whole time he was talking.

Y/n smiled at him, and put her hand on his cheek. 

"There's no need to say something like that, James. I love you, and everything will be okay. In the unlikely situation that anything happens... well, know that I love you so much and nothing will ever get in the way of that. Ever. Nothing can pull us apart, and I stand by that. We're soulmates, James. Nothing can break that." 

She kissed him lightly, her hand still on his face. 

When they pulled apart, James was looking at Y/n with a look of pure love and appreciation. For the first time, a glimpse of a genuine smile appeared on his face. This made Y/n smile, too. 

"Yeah, soulmates. I sure am lucky that you're mine. I love you, Y/n." was all James said before he leaned in to kiss Y/n again. 

-

HIIIIIII

OMG I HAVE A LOT TO SAY

okay so i love this chapter so much. i really hope you do too! i really poured my heart out into this one loool. 

sorry if there are any large blocks of text haha!!

okay so

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 300K READS.

I already made an announcement about this, but I feel like it's totally worth mentioning again. 

300k reads is something that is just crazy to me. i never would have ever ever ever thought that this story would reach 300k. which is why i say THANK YOU so much to all of you incredible readers. it's because of YOU that just for the better  has reached 300k. 

again, THANK YOU, lovely readers. thank u for everything!!! 

so anyways, would u look at that i'm not completely late with the chapter this month ayyy hahaha

i truly hope that you like this one :-) i sure do!!

make sure to leave a comment! i love your comments so much haha they always make me laugh :) sorry if i can't respond to all of them, by the way! 

andddd i'll see you in the next chapter, hopefully soon! 

bye bye!!

- the author, z