7

Year Two

A week had passed, and James and Y/n weren't talking at all anymore after the kiss, but they would hang out together if the rest of the Marauders were there. "Come on James, you and I have detention together." Y/n muttered, the first time she had talked to James since the kiss. "Alright." James said, trying to keep his cool. He looked back at the boys, who nodded at him, then he made his way to detention with Y/n.

James started trying to form a normal conversation with Y/n once they arrived to detention. "I remember the old Y/n, freaking out if she got scolded by a teacher. Now we're getting detentions at least twice a week and you don't care." James said with a smile. Though Y/n didn't smile. "Look James, I know you're trying to get away from talking about that kiss, but we have to." Y/n said coldly. James sighed. "Okay." he said.

"Why did you dare me to do it in the first place?" Y/n asked quietly. James thought for a moment, then answered. "Y/n, I didn't know if I had feelings for you or not. It's not that I know now either, but either way, it was just a dare. It should't have meant anything to you." James said, which lifted a weight off his chest. Although, he did see that same sad glint he always saw in Y/n's eyes once he said something about the two of them not being together. "Okay. Got it." Y/n said, with that cold, monotone voice James hated so much. Y/n was never like this. Ever.

The rest of the detention was silent. The only noises made were the sounds of students talking outside in the corridors, or light coughs from James. He wanted to keep talking to Y/n. He felt there was something missing, he just couldn't figure it out yet. It just felt, unfinished to James.

Little did he know, Y/n felt exactly the same.

- time skip -

"James, you gotta talk to her about it." Sirius said seriously (no pun intended), since Y/n had gone up to bed. "I tried! She just ended the conversation like that!" James said stubbornly. "Do you think she fell asleep yet? You could get the Cloak and go talk to her." Remus said. "Honestly Remus, you can be really dumb sometimes." James said jokingly. "I think Remus is right." Peter's small voice said. "Me too. James, go up there and talk to her." Sirius said.

James grabbed his Invisibility Cloak and made his way to the girl's dormitories. He gave a light knock at the door and heard a stiff "Come in.".  James opened the door only to reveal Y/n sitting on her bed, earbuds in and wearing a Gryffindor T-shirt and sweatpants.  Once she saw James she quickly took out her earbuds.  "What do you want?" she said, once James removed the invisibility cloak. "I need to talk to you. I've had enough of this."

"Well?" Y/n said after a few moments of silence. James owned up to his mistake and finally apologized. "I'm sorry Y/n. I shouldn't have done that." James muttered quickly. And then, Y/n smiled for the first time in weeks. It wasn't a forced smile or a fake smile, James could tell. Though, the sadness didn't leave her eyes. "Apology accepted." Y/n whispered with a smile.

"So, what are we? Just friends?" James said quietly. "Just friends." Y/n said and she sounded sad at first, but she tried hiding it with a fake cough. "Goodnight, James." she said. "Goodnight Y/n." James said, and for the first time, he could have sworn Y/n blushed.

As Y/n thought of the recent events,  she felt empty. Not depressed, not sad, just, emptiness. It was as if she was missing something important.

Oh James Potter, what have you done to me?

Y/n thought, and with that, she fell asleep.

-

"Hey Remus, isn't today one of your, uh, days?" Sirius said. Sirius seemed to not want Remus to be around ever since he found out Remus was a werewolf. Strange. "Yeah.. I'll see you guys soon. Also, James, good job." Remus said with a wink, then left. James knew he was talking about making up with Y/n. "Sirius, what's wrong?" Y/n muttered once Remus was out of earshot. "I need to talk to you guys." Sirius said, and he almost sounded.. excited? Once again, strange.

Y/n brought James' invisibility cloak up to the boy's dormitories, and once all the Marauders (except for Remus) were there, Sirius started talking right away. "Alright, remember that period of time when I kept going to the library?" Sirius whispered quickly. Everyone nodded. "Well, I didn't know that Remus was a werewolf at the time, but I was studying Animagi." Sirius said. Once again, everyone nodded. "Okay well, my plan is, I want all of us to become Animagi. You know, to accompany Remus." Sirius said as he flashed a worried smile. Peter gasped, James nodded and Y/n exclaimed "Brilliant!"

"The potion will take nearly a year to make." Y/n added, which caused the boys to turn their attention to her. "What? I study too!" she said as she laughed0. "We should tell Remus." James said. "Right." Peter mumbled. "Guys, what animal would we be if this all ends up working out?" Y/n asked curiously. "I like dogs a lot, and my personality is sort of like one, maybe I would be a dog!" Sirius said excitedly. "A stag. That's what matches me best." James said with a smile. "I-I would probably be a r-rat." Peter muttered plainly.  "I dunno what I would be." Y/n said as she shrugged.

"N/n, you should be a lynx. It just fits you." James said. Sirius nodded. "Yeah.. Yeah, a lynx sounds good. Thanks James." Y/n smiled. "God, when will you two get together already!" Sirius said. Before James could say anything, they were greeted by Remus. "Hey guys!" Remus said. "Remus! We've been waiting! We wanna tell you something." James blurted out immediately. "Okay.. what is it?" Remus said worriedly. "We're going to become Animagi. For you." Sirius said with a smile.

"Guys, no, no way you're going to do that for me," Remus started but Y/n hushed him. "Remus. You're our best friend and we want the best for you. Plus, it would be cool. Roaming around the school as animals." Y/n said sweetly. "Oh, you guys.." Remus muttered. Y/n saw him tearing up. Despite Remus' constant thanks and apologies, James then pulled everyone into a traditional Marauder group hug.
-
Y/n entered the stunning scarlet train with her Marauder friends. "Well guys, 2 down, 5 to go!" Sirius said as everyone laughed. As Y/n sat down in a seat, she started talking. "I'm going to miss you guys though.. maybe we can make plans like last time?" Y/n asked hopefully. "Yeah. For sure." James said as he flashed one of his usual smiles.

-

characters/storylines belong to j.k rowling except for the ones I made up <3