39

Year Seven

- p r e v i o u s l y -

James paced back and forth in his empty dorm room. This was the night. This was the night he was going to propose to Y/n.

-

James was feeling an insane amount of emotions at the same time. He was nervous, happy, excited, stressed, the list goes on. He knew Y/n was waiting down there in the Great Hall for him, and he knew he needed to go down there pretty soon or else she would suspect something. James could not mess this up, as he had been the one hosting the party just for Y/n. She just didn't know that.

Anyways, James was almost to the point of having an anxiety attack. He knew, being James, that he would end up finding some absurd way to mess this whole thing up. He took the small velvet box out of his pocket, opened it, and examined the ring. What made him almost drop the ring, though, was Sirius slamming the boys' dormitory room door open.

"JAMES! Oh my God, Y/n's waiting for you down there! You gotta hurry up mate, or she's coming up here!" Sirius exclaimed, grabbing James' shoulder and dragging him through the door.

"Sirius! You know how nervous I am, I need some time." James immediately lied, trying to stall Sirius and give himself some extra time. Sirius rolled his eyes.

"Come on, Prongs. Good luck." he muttered, pushing James down the staircase. That had been the last James had seen of Sirius in that hour.

-

James tripped and tumbled down the stairs thanks to Sirius's kindness. Once he finally caught his balance, he looked around, and wow. This party was much more crowded than James had expected. Well, not like that was exactly a problem, he would say so.

James felt his jean pocket. As he wanted, the ring was in there. Surprisingly, James didn't end up losing the ring. He had gotten this far, no messing up now.

James walked around, glancing at all the fellow students having a great time hoping to find Y/n, or even Remus or Peter. With no luck of finding any of them, James started to worry about the Marauders not being at the party. But, at that moment, James felt a punch on the back of his shoulder. Like, an aggressive punch. Well, who else would it have been except for Y/n?

James immediately turned around. "Oh, Merlin, there you are! I've been looking for you for the past ten minutes!" he exclaimed, grinning. Y/n rolled her eyes.

"Oh, really? I've been looking for you for the past hour. Where were you?!" Y/n stated, obviously getting a little bit suspicious. James shrugged. "Wanted to look good for the big party, I guess." he muttered, blushing.

"James, your hair is messier than ever, your shirt is nearly unbuttoned, and your glasses are slipping off. You look anything but good." Y/n joked, playfully elbowing James. James mentally face palmed, remembering that he looked like absolute shit on the day that he was going to propose.

"Uhh, I'll go, fix this." James mumbled, pointing to himself. He proceeded to run back again to his dormitory before Y/n got a chance to answer.

James arrived to his dorm room and looked at his reflection in the mirror. Y/n was right, he truly did look anything but good. He tried combing down his hair, with, obviously, no luck of it staying down. James fixed up his shirt, slid his glasses up his nose, and rolled up his sleeves. Well, now he looked presentable.

James then proceeded to sprint out of his dorm room, then, well, fall down the stairs, and then reunite with Y/n yet again.

"Better?" he asked hopefully once he saw Y/n. "Better." she replied, messing up James' hair even more. Thank God she wasn't a neat freak.

James' nervousness was beginning to act up, and he was not ready. I mean, proposing?! Honestly, he was terrified. He knew for a fact that he would end up messing it up, and he would end up losing Y/n. He wouldn't have that, he couldn't have that. James had been stalling for a while now, so he had decided to face his fear and strike up a conversation with Y/n.

"Uh.. enjoying the party, love?" he muttered, leaning on the nearest wall next to Y/n. She only nodded, smiling. "It's great. Missed you, though." she whispered, leaning her head on James' shoulder. This was his chance.

"So, uh, you wanna go on a walk? Just the two of us? Get away from all this noise, go to the Black Lake and all that?" James asked quietly, awaiting Y/n's response. He was surely relieved when Y/n threw her head back and a huge smile had spread across her face.

"Oh, for sure." she immediately replied, genuinely grinning now. James chuckled, taking Y/n's hand in his own. "Let's go." he whispered. Him and Y/n then sneaked out of the party, to the peacefulness of the outdoors. It was about 7 PM, so the sunset was about to come.

Y/n always found the sunset beautiful. A perfect day for her would be spending time with James near the Black Lake with a beautiful sunset happening, just like right now.

James and Y/n walked and talked outside for what seemed for hours, but really only 20 minutes had passed. 
The sunset was finally happening. The colours were beautiful, stunning. The sky was a flawless shade of red, orange, yellow, and some purple. Y/n could not have been happier, why this was a perfect day.

James gripped Y/n's hand tight, he had to ask the question soon, now. Now was his time, now was perfect.

"Hey, Y/n?"

-
cliffhanger x

OK SO i haven't really been enjoying writing this anymore,, i don't know it just feels weird yk so i will be ending this story pretty soon, i promise it will have a happy ending though!!

i hope you enjoyed this chapter! see ya next time

- zaina