N I N E T E E N

Sirius,

Orion and I are incredibly disappointed in you and are absolutely disgusted that you share our blood. You have not only brought shame to the Black family name, but have ruined our reputation and our social status. However, out of the goodness of our hearts, we are willing to offer you Mr. Travers's daughter as a way to not only restore your apparent lack of respect for our family but hopefully - and more importantly - this marriage will restore respect to the family name. I also did NOT appreciate your note, and you should be warned that any other forms of disrespect will be punished rightfully. Your father and I expect to see you over the holidays to work out the details for the marriage. Until then, stay out of trouble, and stop acting like a complete and utter child.

-Walburga

Sirius clutched the letter in his hands and laughed grimly. He then picked up the other note. He found that it was the note he had sent in response to his parent's original letter regarding the arranged marriage.

Mother and Father,

Fuck you
Fuck no
And kindly fuck off

-Lots of love,
Sirius

Sirius snickered at his letter, still finding it rather amusing. He figured it probably wasn't the smartest letter to send, but he had very strong feelings about the whole situation, and they were not about to go unheard.

Sirius looked back at the original letter and found himself frowning. It's not that he really cared what his parents thought of him, but it still hurt. They were still his blood, and it hurt for them to be disappointed, even if them being proud would mean him following some deranged lunatic. He just wished that sometimes he had parents that loved him for who he was instead of who they wanted him to be. He found it harder and harder to be upset with the paths Regulus took, as Sirius had genuinely considered them just to please his parents, before meeting James, Remus, and Peter on the train. Since then, he was entirely against everything his parents had tried to press him into believing.

"You awake?" Remus popped his head into the dorm. Sirius smiled softly and pushed the letters back under his pillow.

"I think so," Sirius said with a little laugh. He looked around the room and noticed that it was empty. Sure, he'd figured that out before, but it was just hitting him, "Where is everyone?"

"They woke up early this morning. James was making sure his prank was ready, and Peter tagged along. I, of course, was already awake." Sirius smiled, "We're about to go down to breakfast if you'd like to join"

"Yeah, okay" Remus smiled softly and turned around.

Sirius pulled out the final letter that the owl had brought him that morning.

Sirius,

Happy Birthday

-Regulus

Sirius couldn't stop looking at the little letter. It was so extremely simple, but it meant the world to him. Regulus meant the world to him, and the fact that he managed to get a letter out to Sirius on his birthday made him tear up.

"Shit," Sirius mumbled, swiping under his eyes. "Pull it together," He scolded himself before shoving the letters into his table but keeping Regulus' note in his pocket. He wanted to have it close by. He took a deep breath and straightened his robes, then strolled to the door, only to find Remus standing right there.

Remus looked up to find Sirius looking at him with a puzzled expression. Without thinking too hard about it, he flung his arms around his friend. Sirius stumbled back just slightly - clearly not expecting that.