Chapter 12

Elena left to get some more alcohol, and the twins stopped to chat.

"Suspicious, isn't it?" Hilda said lowly.

"Tell me about it. Maybe some pillowtalk will be in order," said Kol, wiggling his eyebrows.

Hilda smirked. "If that's what you're suggesting, then you're doing a terrible job of putting her in the mood. She's scared. She's communicating with someone. I think she's worried we're going to kill her."

"Then let's ease up on the tension, Hilly. How about you casually do something else while I talk to her. I'll flirt with her, or something. Might be a reach either way, given that we're trying to kill her brother."

"She slept with Damon, and he killed many people she knew. I highly doubt she'll hold out for that. Jeremy isn't actually dead."

"Alright," said Kol, whispering very quietly now, "what if I pretend you fancy Jeremy?"

"Are you mental? I'm not letting you say that. If you can't entice her without lying, then you're an idiot. Just be calmer. Make her feel comfortable."

Kol leaned back against a shelf, and peered down at a photograph of Elena and Jeremy. At that moment, the young vampire came back, and Hilda pretended to go to the kitchen as Elena walked up to Kol.

This was common. Hilda would casually slip away and give her brother a chance to flirt with any girl he found attractive. In some cases, she'd put in a good word. Most times, it worked.

"So, we're out of gin, but I think this is a good year," said Elena, holding up a bottle of wine.

Kol faced her. "What if I said that we don't believe you?"

She shrugged. "Okay, you caught me. I don't know anything about wine."

Kol seemed to not yet want to put on his flirty front. He was thinking more about what Hidla mentioned regarding Elena communicating with someone. "It just seems odd that you'd be so willing to give up something you want so much."

Elena became serious, and let out a soft breath. "I would do anything for my brother. And if what you're saying about Silas is true, what does it matter what I want if it puts everyone else in danger?"

Kol looked at her, and Hilda pretended to be very occupied examining the sink. Through her peripheral vision, she saw his hand moved, almost like he was going to try and touch Elena's face, but he decided against it. "Well, this has been enlightening," said Kol, looking at his sister and casting her a wordless message that this was a no-go. "Thanks for the drinks. We'll take your request for a truce under advisement."

The twins began to walk out, and they heard Elena's heart skip a beat. "Is there any chance that you could be wrong about Silas?"

Hilda and Kol turned back. "Trust me, Elena," said Kol, taking one step toward the girl. "Some things are better left buried."

Elena gulped, looking up at him. She then looked away, and Hilda rolled her eyes, stepping out. Kol followed.

"I'm really shocked you didn't try to sex her up," said Hilda. "You can quite literally never keep it in your pants. What changed?"

"Her heartbeat," he said lowly. "You said she was communicating with someone. I noticed her heart skipped a beat when I put my phone away. I know she saw the White Oak stake. It skipped again right now, when we were leaving. As for Jeremy leaving so quickly... they were planning something."

Hilda growled. "Let's stay out here."

They went into the forest and hid behind some trees. "I think I have an idea what they are planning," said Hilda darkly. "We killed the vampires that would have revealed Jeremy's Hunter's Mark. They can't kill me, because that'll only grant them one kill, but you— they could kill you and thousands of vampires would die. The Mark would be completed within hours."