Part II--Chapter 11

Just a sweet little "transition" chapter, after the fireworks of Wyatt's "True Confessions." They're still in they're honeymoon period, which will make the Vegas days all the more devastating...

For now, it's rodeo time at the ranch! Enjoy!

I found her gift when I turned over on this first generation IPod laying on my pillow right next to my head. It almost fell into my face—she wanted to make sure I saw it.

It was one of the first IPods Apple made back in the day, and it was just so Wyatt to have just ignored all the upgrades over the years--it looked almost new, too. Like maybe somebody gave it to her, or the school district decided every teacher should have one, and she stashed it somewhere and just forgot about it.

But it was like trying to do a Rubik’s cube or something. It didn’t even have a display window or anything, so I kept turning it around and flipping it over looking for some kind of “on” button. And then I accidentally pushed the right place and it started.

Once I got it going and put old those earbuds on, boy, this big old grin spread across my face so wide my head should’ve split in half. Because the track it was set up to play was Wyatt singing this song I had never heard of before.

I knew it was a Joni Mitchell track she was singing to, because when it came to the harmony parts, Joni’s voice was there ‘way in the background. Otherwise, the vocals were mostly removed so that it sounded like Wyatt singing with the band—nice, jazzy little groove. Happy, too. Breezy, like Joni’d been in a very “up” state of mind when she wrote it.

And the lyrics...man, I was, like...well let me just give ‘em to you. It started off with:

I'm a lucky girl

I found my friend

That was enough to rock my world right there. But then she sang:

I've been all around the world

Mission Impossible

Chasing the rainbow's end

Wise guys

Shy guys

And sly lover boys

With big bad bedroom eyes

I never loved a man I trusted

As far as I could pitch my shoe

'Til I loved you

You're my lucky star

You're my magician

You make the night prowling disappear

Vanished from the star war bars

Empty repetition

I get my heart full here

Playboys

Stray boys

And "Say, hey, hey" boys'll

treat you like a toy

I never loved a man I trusted

as far as I could pitch my shoe

til I loved you

Woman beaters