20

Henry

"I get off my crutches in a week," Hero boasted, smiling over at me as we walked into our class.

"Yeah?" I asked, walking over to my table.

My face obviously contorted into a frown when I saw Cordelia. I grimaced and threw my backpack down on my table, keeping my eyes off of her at all costs.

"Henry?" Mrs. Thompson said, "you usually sit with Cordelia."

"We're broken up," I said, smiling over at her.

She sucked in a breath, patting my shoulder. "Sorry, kiddo."

Hero grinned at Mrs. Thompson, lifting an eyebrow. "Hey, Mrs. Thompson. Ask me what my name is."

"I already know your name, Hero."

"Ask me."

"Okay, what's your name?" She asked, folding her arms over her chest.

He wrapped his arm around my shoulder, smiling his infamous smile. "Most people call me Hero, but you can call me anytime."

I couldn't help the smile biting at me, making me hang my head and shake it.

Mrs. Thompson walked away, but not before rolling her eyes and slightly giggling.

"It was good, right?" Hero asked, making her shake her head.

"One chance, man. It's all I need."

"Being of age, man. It's all you need," I deadpanned, grinning up at him as I sat down, "and to eliminate her husband. And to make her not be your teacher. And the list of things you need continues."

He rolled his eyes and shrugged, walking over to his table.

"Hey."

I ignored Cordelia's voice and began pulling my books out.

"I know you can hear me, Henry."

"What?" I asked, lifting my eyes to meet hers.

"You have a box of clothes at my house. I texted you about it, but you never texted back."

"Keep it," I said.

"No, Henry," she said.

"Burn it, I don't give a shit," I said, my eyes wide.

She laughed and stood up, shaking her head. "You are incredibly immature."

I decided to keep my mouth shut, facing the front of the classroom. I hadn't quite realized that I'd picked the table where the most notorious nerd sat.

"What are you doing back here?" He asked.

"Bro, just this one class."

"Don't call me bro, please," he said, "I'm afraid that if you call me bro too many times, I'll turn into one of those entitled jocks. You know, like you are."

I knitted my brows together. "O-okay."

Hero looked back at me, his eyes wide as he mouthed good luck.

"Do not do anything to tamper with this lab, I mean it," he said, pushing his glasses further up his nose. "I'll do all the work."

"I'm actually very good at these, thank you," I said, shooting him a glance.

"Okay, class, instructions are on the sheet on your table," Mrs. Thompson said, "if you have any questions, feel free to ask."