57

Fran

I stood in front of my mirror, uncomfortably shifting from foot to foot as I examined my entire body.

I, honestly, didn't pay much attention to my body. I could typically be found wearing a loose sweater, or anything that didn't put my body on display.

But here I stood- in nothing but my underwear. Almost... admiring myself.

My phone began to ring, making me grab it from my dresser. I shot myself one last glance in the mirror, answering the call before I even checked to see who it was.

"Hello?" I asked, dropping my arm that was covering my bare chest.

"Hey, pretty."

My eyes went wide at Brian's voice. I quickly covered my chest, but knitted my eyebrows together at the realization that he couldn't even see me.

"H-hey," I greeted, "hi."

"How's my girl? I hope ready to see me, because I'm on my way."

"Well, that's a pleasant surprise," I said, biting down on my lip as I meekly dropped my arm yet again.

"Yeah, I'll be there in a few. Didn't just wanna show up unannounced."

"Okay, well, I'll see you in a few," I said, smiling.

"See you."

He hung up and I dropped my phone on my bed, leaning down to grab a bra from my drawer. I decided to search for one that actually matched my underwear- usually, I couldn't be bothered with attempting to match my undergarments.

I stared at myself after I put on the bra I'd found, smiling a small smile. "Cool."

I walked into my closet and grabbed a tank top and some leggings, throwing a sweater on top. I was my mother's daughter- I could always be found in a sweater.

I jogged downstairs and saw Brian standing at the island with Dad, making me smile a broad smile. "Hi there."

"Hey, beautiful," he greeted, opening his arms for a hug.

I walked into them and wrapped my arms around his waist, deeply inhaling the scent of his cologne. He smells so good.

I pulled away and looked up at him, pressing a soft kiss to his lips. "How was work?"

"Same old, same old," he said, "Mr. King-"

"I already know what you're going to say. It was my pleasure."

"Seriously, you helped me more than I could ever express," he said, "I-I mean-"

He was cut off by his phone ringing, making him shoot Dad a worrisome look. "I'm sorry, let me grab this."

He answered the call, and I could see that it was Thomas calling. I smiled, realizing that Brian had spent some of the money on Charlie and Thomas.

"Hey, kiddo," Brian said, putting Thomas on speaker, "listen, I know you're stoked about your new phone-"

"Mom just left," Thomas said, "a-and Charlie and I are here alone. She left with this big bag."

I could see the color drain from Brian's face, his eyes meeting mine.

"Mom left you alone?"

"Yeah," he said, "she just said she had to go. Didn't even lock the door. Brian, I don't want to be here alone. These people scare-"

"I'm on my way," he said, "I-I'll be there in a second."

He hung up, leaning his head back. "I have no clue how long she's going to be gone-"