Chapter 29: Battle of The Undying (part 1)

Previously:

It happened in a blink of an eye, her feet left the roof with a cloud of white and yellow sparks, the flaming sword lodging itself into the sashes and pinning them to the surface. The flames spread quickly, burning all the way to the woman's body, eating away at her skin and flesh. Before she had the time to react, (Y/N) was in front of her, her nichirin drowned in a swarm of oranges, yellows and reds.

"Come out to play... Gyuutarou." she whispered venomously.

And with that, Daki's head fell and rolled off of the roof to the ground, no longer connected to the body.

Her muscles tensed up as she awaited the unavoidable arrival of the older brother, the real danger. Her mind flew back to the day many months ago, when she met Upper Moon Two up on the Witch Mountain, right next to the wisteria border of her kingdom. Her eyes narrowed in anticipation.

***

She knew he was the Upper Moon Two from the first moment she spotted him, he has been the one to hold that rank for the last century and even before that, the witches knew of him. Douma, a man with eyes so beautiful that one could drown in them, a man that created a cult around himself and never has been suspected of being a demon by the folk that mindlessly worshipped him and his beauty. It was true, what the chronicle said, those rainbow orbs were enchanting. She stared up at him, fully aware that he must have come for the blue spider lillies. Such a shame, that the ones on her head were fake, only an accesorry to remind her and others of who she was.

He asked if she wanted to go back with him, leave her home on the mountain. She wondered why, wasn't giving him the flower crown enough? Still, she did her best to keep on a clueless tone as she politely refused his offer. The demon turned to leave, she waved at him but suddenly, a current of bloodlust hit her like a hammer, emmiting from the well dressed lad. She knew what would happen before he even twitched but she decided to let him go through with it. After all, it wouldn't be the first time she would have to experience the pain of close death, she has gotten somewhat used to the sensation. Still, it saddened her that he had to harm her, she liked his company quite a bit.

A steel fan opened in the demon's hand as he spun around, the sharp surface digging into her smooth skin. A shattering sound echoed through the clearing as the lower part of her mask broke into pieces, ceramic falling onto the grassy ground. Just as she let her still feeling body fall, the sun peeked out from behind the horizon, filling her with comfortable warmth of it's golden glow. It hurt so much, she wanted to scream but willed her mouth to remain unmoving in a suprised gasp, staying completely still. It was strange, seeing her headless torso lying about a meter away from her, blood flowing in galons and staining the lush greenery with its sinfull red, lavender wisteria petals settling on the macabre stream. She could see a splash of the liquid on some tree barks, not too far away from her. How fortunate, that her mask stayed on and she had the chance to freely look around, out of the demons reach since both her head and body rested in the sunlight.

She saw Douma's pleasant smile turn into a frown for a second as he looked down at her supposed corpse, probably waiting to see any kind of a twitch or movement that could indicate she was still alive. And so, even tho the pain was strong enough to make tears gather in her (E/C) eyes, she stayed frozen solid, willing her heart to slow down to the point of almost stopping. Suddenly, the annoyed expression of the Upper Moon turned slightly sad and disappointed as he crouched down in the tree shade and gazed at her.

"Such a shame..." he trailed off, trying to reach his clawed hand towards her.

But as soon as the golden light hit his skin, the smell of burning flesh filled the air and he pulled back with a hiss.