Chapter 9: Midnight farewell

Previously:

"I made it myself by a technique passed on by the blacksmith's living up here on the mountain. It is made out of the same ore as your nichirin swords... The only difference is that it never changes it's color and forever remains just cold and reflective steel."

Rengoku stayed with them for two days, catching up with all three of them and sending a crow to notify Oyakata-sama that his precious children were fine. After that he set off back to the headquarters, leaving Shinobu and Giyuu with (Y/N) until they recover.

Two long weeks have passed since then and it was finally the last day of their stay. They went through many treatments and rehab to be back in commision as soon as they leave the Witch mountain. They were just packing the last of their things so they could set off at midnight. The walk through the wisteria forest would take a few hours and (Y/N) said that the sun should be raising right as they will be leaving the safety of it's purple petals.

Over his best efforts not to, Giyuu got quite attached to the kind masked girl and felt bad just leaving her alone again. But he knew that there was no other way. They had their responsibilities and she had her duty that she refused to abandon. And so they had to part ways.

To be honest it discouraged all of them. They have gotten close and now, after they left, there was a chance that their next meeting would be only in the afterlife. The world they lived in was a dangerous place and their job made it even deadlier. They could only hope.

"Shinobu-chan? Could you come over here for a second?" called the (h/c) haired girl.

Curious, the hashira walked over to the room nextdoor and stopped in front of the witch. She was holding something in her hand.

"I-... I have something to give you. As a parting gift!" she said nervously and shuffled on her feet.

"You don't have to give me anything, (Y/N)-chan! If anyone should be giving gifts, it should be me - as a thank you for saving my life." protested the petite girl.

"No, you don't know how much the last 5 weeks have meant for me... You and Tomioka-san are my first friends besides Kyojuro. And no one has ever stayed and kept me company for so long! I want to thank you for that and also give you something that could help you two stay safe. I want to see you again after this...alive."

Shinobu nodded. It made sense and while she didn't really want to take anything more from the mountain doctor, she knew there was no way to change her mind about this. Plus, she was quite curious about what it was.

(Y/N) opened her palm to show a tiny vial to her friend. Kocho gasped. There were three dried petals of a spider lily... They were blue.

She stared into the glass bottle lost for words, looking for something - anything - to say.

"I-... You-... No! I can't take that!"

She didn't want anything else but to research the flower but not like this! She wanted to research it with (Y/N)'s help, she couldn't just take it away from here. It was safe here but someone could steal it from her, maybe a demon after they killed her, and they could bring it to Muzan. Or they would become as strong as him, she couldn't risk that. And this was her friend's only purpose, the only reason she was here. She couldn't let her efforts go to waste.

"You can, Shinobu-chan."

"It will be in danger if you let it leave the mountain."

"I know... But I know how to prevent anything bad from happening. There are only a few petals. I would like you to try and research this flower with your own methods. Who knows, maybe you will find a way to turn demons back into humans! Wouldn't that be great?"