Chapter 19: Training partners

Previously:

The last paper was handed to Mitsuri and this time it even had proper sentences. And so she decided to read it exactly as the man wrote it.

"It will be a pleasure to work with you, Ubuyashiki-san. Let me introduce myself again, properly this time. My name is Hakumei Ren. The Demon Hunter."

"Yo, Hunter, where have you been the last few weeks?" asked Uzui as he stopped in front of the mute man sitting under a tree near the Butterfly estate.

After the hashira meeting, the rounin left with Oyakata-sama and was gone the next day. After no one managed to find him, they went to ask Ubuyashiki himself, but he just said that it was in their agreement.

Hakumei lifted his head and his half lidded eyes scanned him lazily. Then he took a stick and started writing into the dirt in front of him.

Home

"Home? Oh, I see, you went to check up on your family! That is very flamboyant, I also go visit my wives! Do you have a wife, Hakumei?" asked the white haired man, grinning at the thought of home.

But the rounin just shook his head. Oh well, he still looked pretty young. Plus, not having a permanent partner didn't mean he didn't have any fun, right? He looked sort of handsome and his mysterious visage would surely attract the ladies. Plus, the way he ended his hearing with Ubuyashiki was absolutely flamboyant. He had no doubt that if this guy could speak, flamboyance would drip from him almost the same way it did from Uzui. The Sound pillar would take him as his tsuguko anytime! But a mute man can hardly be a Sound breathing user.

But that didn't mean he didn't want to know more about him. His strenght was intriguing even if he has never witnessed it... If he was as good as Giyuu, he might even be useful on some missions. But for that, he would have to get to know him and see his skills for himself.

"Well, you are still young enough, there's time before you settle down. How old are you anyway?"

The man looked a bit unsure for a moment but then he scribbled a number next to the kanji he has written previously.

19

"Nice! I am 23. Oh, I never introduced myself. In case you didn't know, my name is Uzui Tengen, the most flamoyant hashira you will even meet!" he said with sparkles surrounding him.

Hakumei's shoulders shook in a silent chuckle as he took out his notepad and brush. He probably realized this would be a longer conversation than he had anticipated.

Nice to meet you, Uzui-san.

"So you are a Water Breathing user, Hakumei? Who taught you? Were they a demon slayer?"

Yes. As for my teacher, they are dead and were not a demon slayer.

"I see, that's peculiar. I have never heard of people like that, slaying demons outside of the corps... Where did you get your sword then? Now that I think of it, you always carry so many swords with you, why is that?"

The rounin's irises glinted amusedly as he started writing his answer. Uzui, not usually a very patient man outside of his job, made himself endure the pauses since the guy had no other choice but to write anyway. During that time, he studied his features. His (e/c) eyes had long lashes, not too different from Shinazugawa's, and denied everything about his younghtful look. On the contrary, they seemed to be the eyes of someone who has the wisdom of many years they've lived through, but somehow still held childlike wonder. Not a single scar littered his skin and it seemed clear of imperfections. Finally the man, or maybe he should say boy, handed him his answer.