Chapter 33: Green Tea

Previously:

"Why?" he asked, puzzled.

"Because I have been told that that is what friends do!"

...How could he say no to a smile like that?

It was the morning of the next day and (Y/N) was on her way out of the Butterfly estate's garden gates. Raindrops from the previous day were glistening in the soft sunlight that fell onto them, making them shine like magical pearls upon green leaves and colorful petals. Puddles littered the garden path and she jumped over them with a joyful pep in her steps. The world simply seemed much more beautiful and happy than yesterday and all it took to be that way were a few words of forgiveness. It should have alarmed her, that her mood changed so drastically because of something so seemingly small, it would have done so a few years ago... But now she was just happy that a person dear to her chose not to cast her away.

She wasn't dressed in her usual attire, switching the male clothes for a well-fitting white kimono that faded into light blue at the bottom from which expertly painted sider lilies sprouted, their rich red blossoms adding a luxurious touch to the otherwise simple piece of clothing. Tho there was still a katana hidden in it, now no longer missing its sunset cloud handguard Kyojuro had given her.

After walking all the way to her destination, she stopped in front of the gate, hesitating. The last time she was there, she still pretended to be Hakumei... This would be the first time (L/N) (Y/N) set her foot in this garden. She wasn't scared of it, no, it was just such an important moment to her that she was afraid of ruining it for herself. It would be a memory she would treasure for as long as she was alive. It was the ultimate declaration of her being forgiven after all.

She took one last deep breath before raising her hand to shake the bell hanging by the gate, making it ring out loudly. Her back straightened as she awaited an answer. No one came to open the door, but she could hear a shout from inside, telling her to come in. And so, she opened it and stepped in. It has been quite some time from her last visite, but everything was still the same. The greenery enveloping the gravel paths shone with life, a bamboo forest raising from behing the ground occasionally. And in the center of it all sat a traditional house, nestled into its quiet kingdom's heart.

But the house wasn't what caught her attention, it was the slightly panicked young man trying to balance a tray holding two tea bowls and a steaming kettle as he was stumbling on his own engawa. There was no time to react as he tripped and the porcelain flew up into the air.

"Tomioka-san!" she exclaimed before running to the fallen hashira.

He grumbled something inaudibly before looking up at her from his position, srawled on the ground, face flushed in embarasment. But while the witch thought it was quite a funny scene, her doctor instincts kicked in and she started checking him for any injuries.

"Are you feeling alright? Does it hurt anywhere? Did you spill any of the boiling water on yourself!?" she asked in such a rapid pace that he couldn't even get a chance to answer.

The raventte lifted himself up before shutting her up with a court: "I'm fine."

That made the girl calm down a little. Unfortunately for him, that meant that her sence of humor finally caught up to her and she started giggling, soon turning it into a full of laughter. Giyuu furrowed his brows in slight irritation but it was obvious that he wasn't actually angry.

"Y-You- What were you even trying to do there, Tomioka-san?" she wheezed with small tears in her eyes.

He blushed a little darker as he averted his eyes to the side.