Chapter 11: Disguised

Previously:

She had to leave this place. Not forever, she would come back and protect it, take care of it... but she had to go. To see the world beyond the mountains, to meet people and decide for herself...

Were they worth saving?

She placed her broken mask on a shelf and looked around her house one last time. It seemed like she had everything.

"I will miss it here..." she sighed to herself as she glanced at her garden.

Quietly she picked up her luggage and tugged her straw hat lower into her face. 15 days have passed since her decision to go out into the world and she was finally ready to leave.

(Y/N) started singing the Song of the witch. It was the last time she would use her voice in a while. After all, she had to get a disguise so she could freely roam Japan with no one finding out her identity and her voice was easily recognizable. Her long (h/c) hair would give her away too so she cut it short to her shoulders. Even one word about her could lead Muzan to her. She couldn't risk that.

Now, she was to be known as Hakumei Ren - a mute man wondering the land, selling swords and slaying demons. She was dressed in a black hakama, a dark grey nagagi and a deep burgundy haori over it. There was a black dragon painted on the back of the haori.

She sighed as she pulled her beloved sword guard off of her katana and hid it in her satchel. No one could see it, they would recognize her immediately but she didn't have the heart to leave it behind. It was her good luck charm. After checking her house one last time, she closed the door behind herself and walked into the wisteria forest. The swords on her back were heavy but she didn't mind. She pulled up a piece of cloth to cover her mouth and nose and tied it behind her head so it would protect her identity at all times. The big straw hat cast a shadow over her (e/c) eyes as she looked in front of herself.

This was it. She would look people proudly in the eyes and stay as silent as the woods around her. She would save people from demons and maybe meet some new friends on her jurney. And maybe, if she was lucky, she would encounter Tomioka, Shinobu or even Rengoku along the way. Sure, they won't know it is her but at least she will know they are fine.

***

She couldn't believe how beautiful the world was. Sure, her mountain was great but there was so much more beyond that. Rivers, differents animals, rice paddies... She couldn't get enough of the sights around her. This was her first day out of the mountains and she was astonished by how different the land looked here. It was so flat with only a few hills scattered around but there were much more people than in the mountains and valleys she has come from.

It was already dark when she reached a village. She thought she could find an inn and rest for the night but suddenly a bad feeling settled in her stomach.

Something wasn't right here.

It was far too quiet even for this hour. Why wasn't anyone out in the streets, why did it feel like something ominous was lurking in the shadows? She closed her eyes and listened closely. And then she heard it - the unmistakable clinking of metal against something hard. There was someone fighting out in the streets.

She turned in that direction and took off running. It was dark, maybe someone was having a hard time with a demon. It would explain the lack of people - they were afraid to leave their homes. She ran as fast as she could, she already heard voices but she still couldn't make out what they were saying. There seemed to be more than just two people tho.

Finally she entered the path on which the fight was taking place. She arrived just in time to see a two horned demon running at a young boy from behind. There was no way the redhead could turn around in time, he was done for. (Y/N) wanted to scream at him to duck, avoid the blow, but she knew she couldn't. If she blew her cover, it would be a one way ticket back home.