Chapter 26

I awaken to bright white lights shining in my eyes. Quickly, I shut my eyes again to block out the harsh light.

Where am I? What happened?

Then it floods back to me; the hunters, the burrow, the gunshot. Without opening my eyes, I try to move my leg and wince when pain erupts in my thigh.

"Ally?" My mate's husky voice asks, somewhere from my right. "Are you awake, love?"

I slowly nod my head in reply. I hear Mason call out something to someone but I can't make it out. Slowly, I begin to open my eyes and try to adjust to the sudden bright light.

When my eyes adjust I look around to see where I am. I notice that I am on a hospital bed and realise I must be in the pack infirmary.

Mason is sat beside me, his large hand is clasped tightly around mine and there is a worried frown etched on his face. He looks directly at me, trying to read my emotions but I feel relatively alright considering.

Wait! The baby! I sit up straight in the bed, frightening Mason, and put my hand on my stomach.

"Mason! The baby!" I almost shout in panic. Mason is quick to put his hands on my shoulders and push me to lay back down.

"Calm down, love." Mason hushes softly "The baby is okay. I promise. You need to rest."

Instantly, I relax and lean back into the soft pillow. I reach out and take Mason's hand back in mine, enjoying the calmness it brings me.

A dull pain comes from my thigh and I glance down to see it but find it covered by the bed sheet. Mason must have noticed where my eyes went because he speaks up.

"You're alright Ally, I made sure of that." Mason says, squeezing my hand. Just before I can answer, the door opens and Doctor Ava walks in with a smile.

"Luna, I'm glad you're awake. How are you feeling?" Ava greets, picking up a clipboard from the bottom of my bed and giving it a read.

"I'm alright." I reply, keeping one hand in Mason's and the other one over my small bump. It still surprises me how fast my bump is growing, its not fully showing yet but you can tell I am expecting.

"Any pain?" Ava asks, picking up her stethoscope and walking over to my side. Mason stands up and watches her closely, still holding my hand tightly.

"Some but nothing extreme." I shrug off "Why hasn't it healed?"

"Well, the hunters shot you with a silver bullet which takes much longer to heal. Almost human speed. In addition, you're body is focused on growing your baby so you're healing is slower anyway."

"Hold on." Mason says, crossing his arms in anger. I feel his emotions in my head and it starts to pound "You're telling me that Alyssa's healing is slower because she is pregnant and you never mentioned it before."

Ava looks frightened by Mason's statement as she realises what she has done. I feel sorry for her as Mason walks up to her, anger rolling off him in waves.

"My mate has slow healing and you didn't think it was important to tell me? She needs to be extra careful now and you should have told us." He states. Before I can scold him, he turns back to me and takes my hand back in his.