Chapter 18

Mason looks at me with shock as he sits next to me. His mouth opens but no words come out as he stares at me. I let out a breathy laugh at his fish-like state, his mouth opening and closing.

He certainly wasn't prepared for that question. Since we met, I knew he had a dirty mind but I've never even mentioned it. 

"Mating?" He manages to splutter out, shifting in his spot. His hand is gripping mine tightly as he watches me. 

"Yes, mating." I nod, running my free hand up his arm. His muscle will always surprise me, I don't know why though because he is Alpha after all. He is naturally the strongest male in the pack and he's all mine.

"What about it?" Mason asks, his voice back to its low tone. His eyebrows are furrowed and he still looks confused.

"Well, so much has happened since we met and I am pregnant Mason. I just think we need to talk about it." I admit "My heart is still slightly broken."

His face instantly morphs into sadness at my words. Instantly, his arms wrap around me and pull me onto his lap. I breathe in his woodsy scent, enjoying the comfort it gives me.

His hand runs up my spine making shivers erupt through my body. He places a soft kiss against my forehead before he speaks up.

"Love, I-I don't know what to say." He breathes "I know I broke your heart but I swear it was unintentional and I will spend the rest of my existence proving that to you. I will use all my strength to fix your heart and I swear I will. I won't ever let you get away again, you know that don't you?"

I look up and meet his eyes. The storm raging in them draws me in and I nod slowly. I did know he wouldn't let me go again, he didn't even mean to in the first place, but there is still a part of me - a small part - that still can't trust him.

I think that small part in the back of my mind is the reason why I am so hesitant to mate with him. I hate that small part of me. 

"I know Mason. It's just, we've slept together before and I- well I-" I let out a frustrated sigh "It doesn't matter, it was stupid anyway." 

I begin to pull away, trying to walk away feeling suddenly embarrassed from bringing up the subject. I don't know why I thought it was a good idea, I suppose what will happen will happen and I should stop over thinking everything.

Thats easier said than done.

"Woah woah." Mason says, gripping my arms and pulling me back into his hold "Alyssa, hold on."

"No it's fine, don't worry. I'm sorry I brought it up." I try to pull away again but Mason holds me against him. 

"Don't be sorry, my love. If you want to talk about it, we can talk about it. " His hands rests under my chin, making sure that I am looking at him "I know we started off all wrong but it's so different now. We are together and nothing will ever change that. If we are going to be a strong couple then we can't have secrets, okay?"

"Okay." I nod "It's just there is still a small part of me that finds it hard to trust. I mean we slept together once before and then I felt rejected, there is a part of me that believes if we are to mate what is to stop you leaving again?"

I pull me face from his hold and look down at my lap in embarrassment. I felt a wave of guilt wash over me as I speak the words. I don't want to hurt his feelings but he wanted the truth.