Chapter 17

"Mason!" I groan loudly, pushing the bed covers of my body in anguish. He just sighs and pulls them back over me.

I glare at him, wanting to strangle him but also kiss him. Damn mate bond.

"Alyssa, you heard the doctor you have to rest." He says sitting down beside me and taking my hands in his. His touch calms the anger burning my insides but I am still not happy.

"I know but its so boring." I sigh, leaning back into my pillow. The impromptu infirmary visit was over 24 hours ago but Mason said Ava told him 3 days of rest.

Masons thumb rubs comforting circles on the back of my wrist as I close my eyes. The doctor never said bed rest but Mason is overprotective. He has been waiting on me for the past day and a half but he has lots of work to catch up on.

I felt horrible, I shouldn't be keeping him from work. I know he has such a lot of work on his plate and me being annoying probably isn't a convenience.

"Alyssa!" He scolds "Stop thinking that you are a inconvenience to me. You are my mate, the woman I will spend the rest of my life with. I would much rather sit here with you than do pack work but I can't keep leaving it to Cameron."

Cameron has been amazing, inviting that Mason looks after me and ensures I am better before returning to his duties. However, I can't let him do it forever plus Elsie probably wants her mate back.

We made up yesterday after she explained it was all a misunderstanding. She has panicked when I had disappeared so went to find her mate but found mine, who took her panicked state in the wrong way.

I jump slightly when Mason places his lips on my forehead. I open my eyes, looking into his grey ones as he moves in and places a chaste kiss on my lips.

"I'll try to be as quick as I can. Please just rest Alyssa and drink lots of water." He nods to the large untouched glass by the bed "There are guards outside the front door if you need anything and our mind-link is always open. Do not hesitate to contact me if you need anything, okay?"

"Okay." I speak, my voice quiet as I give him a soft smile. My heart squeezes in my chest as I watch him leave the room. Once the door shuts, I whip the blanket off my body and stand up.

I need a long hot bath.

***

I bathed for what felt like hours, fully enjoying relaxing in the warm water. My whole body feels better now and every ounce of stress has evaporated.

Now all I need is my mate back. I change into one of Masons top, enjoying the smell and comfort it gives me. I make my way downstairs to the living room and plop down on the couch.

The weather outside is gloomy so it doesn't make me feel as bad for staying in. I lay back into the comfy couch cushions and close my eyes, resting as I was told.

My hand rests on top of my stomach, enjoying the comfort of knowing our baby is growing there.  I open my eyes and grab the pregnancy book from the side table. 

I open it up to the page that's got the corner folded down. That is Mason, he's been reading up on everything on pregnancy and our pup, it makes my heart warm.