Chapter 16

My steps have slowed as we near Mason and my stomach begins to turn. A slight headache forms in between my eyes. The guards give me worried looks but they keep walking ahead, towards their fuming Alpha.

Mason's eyes find mine and I can already see them switching between colours. His wolf is obviously just as angry as he is but I don't see any reason for them to be mad.

I was only out on a run in the territory. I didn't even go near any of the borders and I made sure I remembered which was home, plus I was with Elsie.

It's not like I just up and left without telling anyone and I certainly wasn't trying to run away. I would never try to leave Mason, unless, of course, he rejected me.

Mason walks away from the men he was talking to and walks over to me. My stomach is churning but I shouldn't be feeling this scared, I've done nothing wrong and I know Mason would never hurt me.

When he is finally in front of me his arms wrap around my waist and he pulls me into his chest. I gingerly place my arms around his neck as his head rests in the crook of my neck.

Small growls are coming from him but I just hold him close, knowing that having me near will help calm him down. His arms are wrapped painfully tight around my waist, I refrain from moving out of them as I know he just needs to hold me.

After a few minutes of just holding each other, Mason's death grip on my waist finally loosens enough for him to pull away and look at me. His face still holds anger but I know I can calm him down, eventually.

"What were you thinking Alyssa?" He asks, anger laced in his tone as he stares down at me. His eyes are back to their beautiful grey but I can tell his wolf is near the surface.

"I just needed a run." I state. I am not going to let him make me feel bad for going for a run, I am not a prisoner of the pack house and I am a free wolf.

"You left without telling me or the guards where you were going!" His voice has turned to a shout "I can't believe you would be so reckless."

"Excuse me." I draw out, pushing him away slightly. I can feel my anger begin to bubble in my stomach. He needs to tread carefully. Normally, I am pretty level-headed but with the extra hormones flowing in my system, I'm slightly unpredictable.

Mason must notice the change in my voice because he looks at me in confusion. Slowly, I push his arms away from my waist which makes him growl. I give him a glare in return.

"Reckless?" I ask, eerily calm which obviously scares him because his eyes widen. "I was not being reckless Mason."

"Really?" He asks "Then why would you leave without telling anyone?"

"I didn't. You're acting like I ran away Mason. I went for a run with Elsie. She was with me but we got separated and when I noticed, I returned." I say, a growl in my voice "Don't treat me like I am a prisoner or an omega Mason, don't you dare."

He looks at me in shock but I stand tall not letting myself break. We are staring at each other, waiting for the other to stand down but I know he is an Alpha and I am too stubborn.

The anger bubbling inside me is making me feel sick and I want to cry. Damn it. How long left of this pregnancy?

Mason lets out a sigh and reaches out for me but I quickly take a step back. He needs to apologise first and if he touches me I will instantly melt into him.