Chapter Fifteen - The Task of Getting To Know Another

A comfortable silence fell over the pair after that. Neither one knowing what to say, nor did they want to break the silence. They sat in each other's presence and enjoyed the moment together, while late night city go-ers bustled about down below. It was peaceful and not strained. Something Niall had been craving for such a long time. 

There was no urge to flee, to run somewhere and hide in himself. There was no burning desire to be away from the person next to him. In fact, in that moment, looking up at the only visible stars in the sky, Niall felt completely safe in another's presence for the first time in a very, very long time.

And it was just that thought passing through his mind alone that made him want to flee. Because it was new, and he's had too many new feelings and emotions in this one day alone, to last him a long time. 

But he didn't. He stayed where he was, sat right next to the boy who took him in when he was injured without so much as a complaint. 

Niall was jolted out of his thoughts when a strong, yet softly spoken voice reached his sensitive ears.

"I'd like to get to know more about you..." He whispered into the breeze. 

Blue eyes stared at the boy's profile for awhile, unblinking and unwavering. But then copper met the blue with full determination. 

"I know I may not be able to get the words from you verbally. But why don't we do something? Show me something you like to do." Liam spoke again, his eyes softening, gentle.

Niall paused, thinking of the things he liked doing. But nothing came to mind. All he knew was to run, run from this person, run from that person. He couldn't even comprehend such self indulgent wishes as things he actually liked to do.

But instead of telling Liam this, he voiced something else, "Why don't you show me what you like to do?" His voice cracked in the middle. He was scared. Scared of rejection to find out more about this seemingly fearless boy beside him. So he waited for a response with baited breath.

"Sure, but only if you take us there." Liam spoke, his eyes flickering towards the sky in hint and then meeting Niall's eyes unflinchingly.

Niall contemplated his request for half a second, before he nodded slowly and stood from his spot on the ledge of the roof. He offered a hand to Liam to help him up, who gladly took the offer with little hesitation.

Once both were on their feet, the hand that was used to help Liam stand was still intertwined with the other's, yet neither seemed to notice.

"Where to?" Niall asked, applying a bit of weightlessness to the both of them. Their feet slowly leaving the sturdy roof top. Liam gasped at the sensation of being lifted once again, but retained his eye contact with Niall. 

"Just take us south-east and i'll say when to land." Liam said, a little breathless. He broke the eye contact and looked at the shrinking earth as they got higher and higher off the ground. They needed to be high enough to be out of sight, but not to oxygen deprive them both.

The air suddenly started whizzing past them. Liam ended up gripping tightly to the back of Niall's shirt and shutting his eyes tight for a minute to calm the nauseous sensation in his stomach. This entire 'flying' experience was not how he expected it to be. Liam expected it to just feel free and weightless and like nothing could harm him. Instead he felt exposed and like he would throw up any moment. It was terrifying and horrible.

He tapped Niall's shoulder twice when they were to land about four and a half minutes of straight silence and flying later. Niall nodded and slowly dropped them both gently to the ground. Where Liam immediately found the closest bush and fed it the contents of his stomach until he was dry heaving.