Chapter two - Dust and Rubble

I sat there for what felt like an eternity, contemplating what I should do. There was obviously nothing left for me here, but could I make it out of here in one piece?

The sound of sirens is what made my mind up for me. I brought my head up, my legs slowly finding their grip and pushing my weakened body with them. 

Still leaning slightly on the splintered doorway, I looked around for an escape that wasn't completely blocked. But the only way out was forwards. 

I needed to run. I had to face the facts. I hadn't been careful, so now I had to run.

It was fight or flee. And I have had enough fighting. Fighting is what got me into this mess in the first place. 

With a deep intake of breath, I slowly let it out and took a cautious step forward. Not that being cautious could save me now, it was just in my nature.

The unmistakable crunch of litter and broken wood is what met my ears after my first step. I almost froze and shrunk back to the ground to wait for them to capture the freak that I was. But there was no going back now, as they would surely kill me on first look.

So I strode forward, ignoring the terrible crunching and sloshing at my feet, not wanting to know what mess I had created and now was stepping through. 

Halfway down the abandoned, destroyed hallway, I noticed a discarded toque and picked it up. Bright orange in colour and probably very noticeable, but it was better then my brown, grime covered hair that stood up in an array of directions.

I glanced over at an intact door and saw somebody inside. 

It was the grade five teacher. My teacher. She took one look at me, a corded phone pressed to her ear. Her heavy yellow sweater torn in places and like everywhere else, covered in dust and rubble. Her eyes filled with horror tainted fear and she quickly slammed shut the somehow still standing door, with a cry of, "Help me" leaving her lips and into the phone receiver.

A shot of terror filled my heart and struck me like a bolt of lightning. They would be here soon.

I quickened the shaky pace down the hallway, and threw the awful toque over my head. I nearly tripped on a mangled desk that lay in my way of the front doors and quickly pushed the glass door open and passed through it and out of the building finally.

Just as I was leaving the grounds, a old black car with a red light placed on the top left pulled up and parked right beside me, but the driver took no notice of me, and focusing on the damage done to the school. I took the opportunity to grab the closest unlocked bike on the bike rack and get the hell out of there as fast as possible.

I pulled my jacket tighter to me, as a shiver of, not coldness, but fear spread up my spine. I hopped onto the bike with amazing grace for someone who was shaking like a falling leaf spiraling towards the ground. Just before I sped off, I chanced a glance behind me and saw the teacher point a finger towards me, while talking to the lone policeman.

Just as his head turned towards me, I took off like the devil was on my heels. Which, wouldn't surprise me if he, the devil I mean, came after me, after what I had just done. There was surely no place in heaven for somebody as terrible as I was. Somebody who was a freak like I was. 

I pedaled away as quick as possible.

I had one thought in my mind.

Get the hell home, grab survival supplies, find the hidden stash of money my parents had hidden away incase of emergencies, then get the hell out of here and never turn back.