Chapter Four - Ten years after

"Shit." The curse left my mouth before I had the chance to react to my foot slipping out from under me. I tumbled down the roof top in the next second, scraping my body up in the process. I stopped myself just before hitting the edge with a small barrier. I laid there for a second, face pressed to hot tiles and I let out a long sigh. Slowly my arm slid out from under me and reached over the edge of the rooftop.

The next moment, an apple flew into my hand and I rolled myself over so I was laying on my back, and sat up, taking a large bite out of the big red apple I just obtained. I looked across the rooftops of the small city I was currently passing through. I didn't bother to learn the name, as I was just passing through like always. I could never stay in one place for long. That was the life of an outcast. 

I stole food because I had no money. I travelled every waking minute because if I were to be found out, I would most likely be shot on sight. 

I still see posters and advertisements every now and again when i'm in London, with my 10 year old face on it. Electric blue eyes, short cut brown hair, chubby. The posters were also up in every major city, and a few smaller ones, in the UK. It was hard to hide.

That's what people were still searching for, which allowed me a bit of freedom to move around without looking around each corner. 

I shook my dyed blonde hair with it's darker roots coming in and felt the brown contacts in my eyes starting to dry up, as they had been in there for five days now. Rubbing my eyes, I pulled my hand away and brought with it the two contacts. I blinked a few times to get used to everything being a bit brighter now that I didn't have a layer over top of them.

I sighed.

It was time to get some more money I guess. I hated this part of the whole running away thing. It always sat on my conscious for weeks afterwards. I would be a genuinely very honest person, if I wasn't running for my life every second of the day.

With another long, drawn out sigh, I stood up and finished the apple, every last bite including the core. I couldn't afford to get picky with my food. Every last bite counted if I was going to steal.

I made my way to the opposite edge of the roof and leapt the off, the three storeys to the ground, and landed with practiced ease, using as bit of energy to cushion my fall. I stuck my hands in the pockets of my ripped at the knee jeans and walked through the alley way, navigating my way through the dark walkways and eventually out onto the open street.

I got a few weird looks from people, but they never bothered me. The hood of my black hoodie was covering my head and half my forehead, the blue backpack I had stolen bouncing against my back noiselessly.

I walked for hours upon hours, keeping my eyes trained to the concrete and sometimes grass, if I had to pass through a field, underneath. Never once stopping or taking my eyes off the ground. 

I only allowed myself to rest once I had London in my sights. 

Leaning against the tree, I wished I could go further away from here. How I wish I could just go back to Ireland and not be chased by authority figures until my feet bled. Sure, I could use my abilities to fly myself everywhere, but that is a lot more conspicuous. I only had to use that once, when crossing over from Ireland. 

Pushing myself off the tree I had leaned against, I pulled my hood over my face lower and began walking down the road leading to London. This is going to be a quick trip this time. London is the most dangerous place for me to be, seeing as the blonde in my hair was also in desperate need of a touch up. But contacts came first. This was a get in, get money, get the contacts, get the hell out, kind of trip.