CHAPTER ONE

SHE WAS RUNNING. It was dark, she couldn't really see where she was going but she knew she had to run. Spending the night in the woods isn't really how she thought normal teenagers spend their summer breaks but her father seemed to think otherwise. Just as she thought she was finally in the clear, she tumbles and lands face first in the dirt.

"Dead." Her father yells out from where he now stood in front of her, a crossbow held tightly in his grasp. "Took you longer than last night though, that's progress." She grunted at his words as he helped her off the ground and she dusted herself off.

"You know, dad," the girl clears her throat, "We could just grab some takeout and have a nice little movie night, like most fathers and daughters do. Just a thought."

"We can do that." He smiles, giving her false hope for a second before the smile falls off his face. "After you finish training, Venus."

"That could take months!"

"Better get a move on then, huh? Use the forest, Venus, let it help you. You've got two minutes. Run."

•••

     That's how the majority of her summer went, training with her father all night as often as they could. She wasn't exactly sure what they were preparing for but they've been working this hard ever since Venus' mother passed away a year ago. She knew what she was, of course, she was practically raised in these very woods.

For as long as she could remember, Venus and her mother would venture out into the Beacon Hills Preserve. The young girl was always fascinated by how her mother could connect so easily to her surroundings, regularly excited by the fact that one day she would be able to do it as well. Unfortunately for her, she didn't have much time to learn from her mother and she was expected to step up sooner than they had hoped.

Her father on the other hand wasn't like either of them, his specialty was more in weapons and combat. That didn't mean that it wasn't enforced on Venus though, her parents had both managed to give her the best of both worlds.

Halfway through summer break, they were on another training trip in the preserve when they found it. Venus had quite literally stumbled onto the herd of mountain lions, covering her shoes in animal guts. She had let out a horrified squeal when her eyes adjusted to the sight in front of her, quickly alerting her father that something was wrong.

"What in the world?" her father mumbles as he leans down to get a closer look and Venus tries to get a feel of what had happened but all she could sense was fear. "It looks like they attacked each other."

"That doesn't make sense." his daughter speaks, "They wouldn't kill in such great numbers." and that's when she felt it, that growing feeling of discomfort in her stomach at the sight in front of her. Informing her father of it, she learned that it was the forest giving her a warning. The great mystery was over what the warning was for.

EDITED