CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

Venus had her head rested against the wall behind her as they waited for Stiles' MRI to be complete. She had been sat in silence for a few minutes next to Scott, both of them trying to digest the conversation they had in that room with their friend. Derek had joined them a few minutes after that, sitting across from the pair.

Scott leans forward, placing his elbows on his knees to talk to the older man. "You remember the stuff you were telling me about chemo signals earlier? It reminded me of the time you were teaching me to use anger to control the shift."

"I think you ended up teaching me more about that." Derek smiles, leaning forward as Scott had.

"Are you teaching me again?"

"Think of it more like sharing a few trade secrets."

"I feel like i'm interrupting an intimate moment right now." Venus holds a hand out, giving both them a sarcastic smile causing Derek to roll his eyes at her.

"You know I took Cora back to South America, right? It's where she spent most of her time after the fire, but that's not the only reason I left. I needed to talk to my mother."

Venus' eyebrows furrowed in confusion, as she leaned off the wall. "Isn't your whole family like-" she moved her thumb across her neck, signifying death.

Derek rolls his eyes again and continues speaking. "She told me something that changed my perspective on a lot of things. She said my family didn't just live in Beacon Hills, they protected." he nods his head in Venus' direction. "Alongside yours. This town needs someone to protect it. Someone like you two."

"And someone like you to teach me a few trade secrets." Scott smiles over at the older man. It faded as quickly as it appeared though as he stood up, looking at the two of them alarmed. "He was protecting us."

"What?" Venus asks, slowly standing up.

"Stiles was protecting us." Scott repeats, more sure this time.

"From himself." Derek realises, grabbing his jacket and standing up, the three of them making their way onto the roof.

"I don't get it, what are you guys talking about?" Venus questions, trailing a few steps behind the two werewolves.

"Last night when we were up here, we could smell Stiles' stress." Scott explains, pushing the roof door open.

"There was definitely a struggle between him and himself." Derek continues.

"A struggle about what?"

"I'm not sure, but I don't think Stiles was just struggling with himself, he was struggling not to do something." Scott yells from across the roof, Derek and Venus moving towards him since he seemed like he had an idea of what was happening.

The younger werewolf stepped onto a small ledge next to one of the electricity boxes, pushing his hand on top of it, before dragging a heavy bag downwards onto the ground. A bunch of different tools had fallen out of the bag, alarming all three of them.

"What the hell was he doing?" Venus murmurs, looking between the two werewolves.

•••

"Have you figured out my riddle yet?" the nogitsune runs around the MRI machine, startling the human boy. "If you answer correctly, we might consider letting them go."

The bandaged man was now stood directly in front of Stiles. "Letting who go?"

"Your friends. Your family. Everyone who ever meant something to you. We're going to destroy all of them, Stiles. Starting with that pretty little Nymph standing in my way."

The tears were flowing quickly down Stiles' cheeks as he listened to the spirit in front of him. "Don't- don't hurt her."

"Having you around her weakens me, Stiles, you know that. We can't have her in our way."

"W- why?"

"Everyone has it, but no one can lose it. What is it?"

•••

Just as the three supernaturals stepped away from the electrical box, it exploded. The wire they were previously looking at going haywire on the rooftop, none of them clearly knowing what they were supposed to do. Panic instantly floods their bodies as the wire falls from the roof onto the street below them, right in front of the hospitals main doors.

Venus had never ran so fast down a flight of stairs in her life, the three of them reaching the street in seconds. The girls eyes widen as she notices Isaac lying in the middle of the electrified water, Derek having to hold her back from falling into it herself. What shocked her even more was Kiras glowing eyes and the fact that she seemed to be absorbing the electricity. The Nymph instantly making her way to Isaac, who was still unresponsive, faintly hearing Derek following behind her.

"Oh my god." the girl gasps, holding the boys face. "He's not breathing. Derek, Scott! He's not breathing!"

A few nurses and doctors had rushed out of the hospital, tending to the injured, followed by Melissa and the sheriff. Isaac was swiftly pulled from Derek and Venus, the medics rolling him back into the hospital.

"Two people said they saw Stiles' jeep leave the hospital." she heard a deputy speak a few steps behind them, her eyes instantly locking with Scotts in worry.

"Okay. If neither of you are gonna say it." Venus sighs, looking back at the two werewolves. "Stiles is the nogitsune, isn't he?"

"You have to tell Stilinski."