Whispers

Endrine

Dragging the heavy sack, I recall the sadness in those innocent big blue eyes as I told her that she's not coming...or every spring we go to a new place... I can not risk staying in a village, they must not find us. She is still too young. Her beauty is out of this world, and men would kill to have her. Or... would kill her, if they see and understand the mark on the back of her neck, the crescent moon embedded into her skin.

All men were savages, I have witnessed that. She doesn't understand why she must hide her face under dirt and cover her long blonde tresses. At least, in the far north, no beast would see or smell her. Blessed was the day I found her, for she gave me strength and will to survive.

Fourteen summers of brightness in my life, fourteen years since that pure new born suckled my finger in the forest.

One day, my sins will demand a price, I know that. Until then, I will teach her all I can.

We are close to the stone, and there will be executions. The werewolves like to make a show , is their way to prove us Lowers what happens if we break their rules.

Sometimes they would accept payment for a prisoner, this is how they usually take slaves. But they also claim women they fancy, and who can stop them? Vampires, on the other side, would hold the condemned as blood supply till they die. If they spot her, she will be taken and I can not let that happen. I am familiar with their ways too well.

I stop in front of a vendor who flashes his rotten teeth in a smile. We barter, but I sense his greediness. With no time to waste, I add a hare's fur and he nods his approval, giving me more salt. I move to next tent when I notice the huge gathering.

"What is happening?" I ask the thin woman.

"The King is coming" she whispers, eyeing the stone.

"You mean The Beast King? What for?"

"I don't... know..."she voice, fidgeting.

"Who are the chained ones?" No reply.

I know the Alphas are in proximity, because their king is here. And when He comes to the stone, it means one thing- someone very important is to be made an example. Shivers cross my spine, and I pull the hood over my head. At least I have the chance to see their king. I can only hope that he is not as bloodthirsty and mad as the old one.

Acting normal, not to draw attention, I exchange the goods and walk to a spot on the flank for a better view.

I can not leave the village before the executions, it is an offence to them.

The King takes his seat, exchanging looks with a high werewolf. That must be the prince, chosen by the king. Both look young, but they are not. All youngsters are low ranked, because the beast side is weaker when passed from generation to generation. All of them are tall, with strong bodies and sculpted features. A powerful one possess fantastic speed and stamina, with senses so overdeveloped, that he or she can hear the heartbeat inside a mother's womb and smell the milk in her breast from a mile away.

"Last pebble, by the mercy of our ruler, is The Whipping!"

I remember it was the disembowelment. Surprised by the change, I squint at the scene in front. Is this actually a chance to life for the wretched bastards?

The draw was made. A young, pretty slave approaches the table with shaky steps. She takes the small stone from the man's grasp and holds it up for the people to see.

Faster than a lightning, the leader is behind the human. He whispers something in his ear, I can not understand what, and bite his neck.

He is lucky to die fast- I think.

This ruler is different. Standing tall, at 6.3 feet, with bulging muscles, unkept hair and a scar descending from his left brow, covered in stubbles, the animal impose fear and respect with every breath. But the looks are deceiving, and I have the nose to smell that- one of my talents.

My curiosity grows as I see him mumble to the next one. What is he saying?

A young guard stares at me. No, he is too young to know my face, I debate, controlling my heart beat.

He steps closer.

"Pray you never find out!" he says. I never realized I voiced my thoughts. Such mistake could cost me a draw.

"Your name!" He demands.

"Endrine" I whisper, hoping that my voice will be covered by the crowd's.

The people cheered- so the Stone of Sin is paid for the season. And then they gasped in horror. The guard returns to his post.

And the last one is kneeled at the low wooden table.

.....