Temptation

Raiden

The great hall was filled with warriors, who rose as I walked and took my seat on the raised platform. Rhys had a dumb smile on his face, the kind one that he usually had when a slave pounds him well.

The men sat down on the benches and resumed to their dinner, humming and laughing .

I grabbed a chunk of meat and stuffed it in my mouth.

"Did the new alpha forgot to feed you?" he teased amused, while the meat juices were dripping from the corner of my mouth. I swallowed fast, too hungry to waste time to chew more.

"What's that stupid smile on your face?" I asked, reaching for another piece.

The venison was tasty. "And they offered me food, of course, but I didn't waste any time to attend the new Alpha's feast. Not after the message you sent me. What happened with the chest, did it burn?"

"Nearly" He sipped quietly from his wine, then he signaled with his finger to a slave, who came and refilled his cup, throwing glances between me and him.

After the woman retreated, he continued. "I've never seen it so hot, Raiden. Never. It's gone cold now, but something happened, I'm sure. I had to spend the night on your bloody floor to guard it."

There was no point in trying to understand anything about the damn box, I thought. Maybe one day it will just burn by itself. "What about the prisoner?"

"Not much to say about her, except she's a dawner, caught while burying her daughter." He paused. "You should do something about Zain and his men. It took five of them to bring that one here."

"We'll keep the woman for the second harvest's sacrifice. Make sure she confess till then. Her blood should be enough for the stone." Rubbing my overgrown beard, I added-

"I am not the thick skull that doesn't want to name a new Aga, so you deal with the patrols."

He frowned. I touched a sensitive spot, but I had to.

Jayce was lost, probably dead by now, and it was time to accept that. We couldn't risk to search our former Aga. Because if he was still alive and infiltrated into our enemy's core, that would've ruined his mission.

The evening passed calmly, with no fights amongst the wine- heated men. I left the hall quietly, while he was exchanging glances with the skirt that served us.

I pressed the latch and opened the heavy oak door with a loud noise.

The dim glow of the fire was casting strange shadows on the old tall ceiling made of beams and patched with clay, while the warmth was fading in the cold air of the room.

I stepped inside and closed the door behind, taking a deep breath. In that moment, a faint scent hit my senses and my pupils went dark.

Something familiar was nagging in the pit of my mind, but I focused on the smell masked by dirt and fear.

It was sweet and fresh, like a full blossomed peony bathing in the clean air of a summer rain.

So magnificent that it made the beast stir inside me, and I couldn't help myself growling. My eyes closed for a few moments to allow myself to get back in control. I walked a few steps towards her till I was inches away.

She was curled on the dusty floor, in the far corner of the chamber, with head resting on her raised knees and arms wrapped around them. The light blond hair was pinned in a messy bun with wild strands falling on her face, while a beautiful veil was wrapped around her neck.

She tried to cover her bare small feet with the shredded skirt of her dress as I approached, and swallowed hard the dry lump formed in her throat, struggling to stop her sobs.