Trust and changes

Raiden

"I don't know how you do this," Rhys said, gasping for air while he leaned his frame onto a tree. I raised a brow, waiting for him to pour it down.
"We've been running since we left, and not for once you needed a break. I know that you are the strongest, well- that's why you are our king, but I've never realised the level of your endurance. At least now, at dusk, let us sit and eat. I can't take any step longer if I don't rest for a bit."
I knew we needed a break, but I couldn't stop either. We avoided the pack's guards in order to keep this journey a secret, and now we were near the South-East pack border, where the new and young alpha was waiting for us. He was the only one to know our journey's purpose, beside me and the prince. And that was because we needed cover. No one else knew we were heading to Taria, nor the importance of a friendship with those people. I knew they will ask something in return for us to shake hands, and I was wondering why after all this time they answered. It could still be a trap. But I knew I would ask them to cease supplying the Dawners with moonberries, for I was certain that we eradicated that plant in the Midland.
"You rest, Rhys, when we get to the Alpha Darian's hall. And you go back to the king's seat." I decided.
"What? Raiden, I'm coming with you! We already set this up!" He exclaimed with a newfound energy in his eyes, and annoyance.
"I never wanted you to come with me, but you do have a way to push it sometimes. Even though I don't question Liam's loyalty, he is not fit to rule, not even for a short time, and you know it."
"It is too dangerous for you to go alone. I told you once, and I tell you again : I would die for you, Raiden. If something happens to you, then what of me?" His voice was raised in frustration and his hands were fisted. I glanced at him and turned my back, answering over my shoulder.
"If I die, I die. But if we both die, then what will become of all? You are my successor, the only one I trust to carry on what we started, Rhys. Do you remember the change you envisioned back in the days when we were nothing?"
"We might not be blood, Raiden," he replied, "But we are sworn brothers, just like we were with Jayce. I lost him already, and I don't want to lose you, too. But I understand, and if you don't return, I will continue your legacy."
Taking a few steps, he faced me with his arm out. I grabbed his arm with my own, giving it a strong squeeze.
Before we parted our way and with the possibility of me not making it back, I had one last thing to ask him.
"If I don't make it, claim her, take her as yours. That's the only way to protect her, and I ask you to not let any harm to fall upon her."
"Brother..."
"I couldn't put her in danger... I couldn't claim her. But you were right, Rhys... I love her."
Since I meet her, I tried to deny it.
Speaking those words loud for the first time in my life, I realized their heaviness and what that meant for me. Fear.

The fearless beast, fearing that I will never see her again. Kiss her again. Fear of an one sided love.

"I swear!" He squeezed my arm harder and dashed through the woods, disappearing into Darian's land.

.....

Taria

"Why do you think it is changing color, elder Crenn?" The young leader asked, looking at the small vial contained behind glass panels in the middle of the tall, hollow chamber of the cave.
Right above it, as a natural occurring, the cave ceiling had a round shape opening, allowing the Sun's rays to fall exactly on the container of the essence, at a certain moment of the day.
The old man leaned his weight on his tall shaft, never looking away from the treasure. His grey robe danced its hem slowly in the draft's melody.
"Do you know, lady, what it represents?"
Lady Ewinn shifted her glance, watching him with curious eyes. The white-haired man continued after a few moments of silence.
"Tis the soul's colors. An angel is a pure soul, the brightest soul you'll ever find. That's why the beasts are so drawn to it, and that's why we protect it. And what is a soul, you might ask. Well, it's light. And dark. Love and hate, happiness and sorrow. Life. Our human souls are dull. Our horizon is limited, even in our feelings. And with life, comes death."