Flames and coldness

Restless, Raiden tossed and turned on his fur, unable to find solace in sleep. The fireplace dormant, for he was boiling on the inside.

Since their morning departure, he hadn't touched food or drink, his appetite vanished. Uma- his constant and reliable companion had departed, choosing a path he wished to no one. Her words echoed in his mind, and with each wave they whittled deeper and deeper. Listen to her  she had urged, but Raiden couldn't bring himself to do so. The wounds inflicted ran deep, too deep for easy mending.

Frustration gnawed at him. Perhaps the nixians were right; emotions were for the weak-hearted, good for nothing.

They don't deserve this, Uma's voice echoed once more. 

He would release the bonnie redheaded lass from her cell, though his wolves would keep a close watch. He needed to be careful. After all, she was the daughter of Illre. But she would not be up for claiming. Raiden had a hunch that Jayce would have something to say if so.

His mind wandered to a sweet, innocent face with blue eyes framed by blond tresses. Small hand, slowly caressing  his cheek, soft pink lips-

Suddenly, a pained howl pierced the night's silence. Jayce.

Consumed by worry, Raiden's heart raced as he sprinted from his chambers to the dungeons. What misfortune had descended upon them?

Enveloped by a sense of urgency, he entered the dungeon and headed straight for the last cell, the one designed to hold in the likes of them. With a resounding clang, he swung open the heavy door. "Jayce!"

The former First Aga writhed on the ground, clutching his hand in agony. "Something is happening to her!" Jayce screamed, pain coursing through him as he twisted and turned on the damp, moldy floor.

"To whom?" Raiden demanded.  But he knew the answer before Jayce could reply.

Could he wholly trust Jayce? Or was he being led astray? Without proof of either, Raiden couldn't risk it. He secured the heavy chains around Jayce's wrists and ankles, ensuring no trouble would arise for the time being.

"I'll track the wagon, Jayce. It must still be in the Midland," Raiden assured before sealing the door shut once more. It was hard, hard to see his once trusted friend and Aga like this. To have to bound him in that filthy cell. Yet Raiden knew he couldn't afford to be swayed by sentimentality, not when the fate of their realm hung in the balance.

As he strode purposefully down the corridor toward the exit, he caught sight of the trembling prisoner huddled in a corner, fear evident in her posture. His werewolf eyes adjusted easily to the darkness, but she, being human, struggled to see. Halting, Raiden's harsh tone commanded "Get up, lower." Uma would have approved, he thought wryly to himself.

The werewolf king strode purposefully towards the hall house, his grip firm on the lass's elbow, guiding her along as she limped beside him.

As they approached, Rhys emerged, his expression etched with concern, followed closely by Liam, the First Aga, and a throng of warriors.

"What is happening?" Rhys's worried voice cut , his gaze flickering between Raiden and the trembling girl, who looked like she was about to faint at any moment.

Behind them, a sickening song of clanks and bangs screeched, signaling Jayce's relentless struggle against his bonds. Each metallic clang reverberated through the heavy air, a testament of the determination to break free from his confinement. The sound served as a stark reminder of the urgent task at hand, urging Raiden to hasten his preparations before Jayce's newfound strength overpowered the stout defenses of their makeshift prison.