The bold and the shy

Rhys

"Again!" I shouted to the men. Even with the so-called peace, we could not afford to take anything for granted.

"You really want to kill the bastards?" Liam asked. He was sitting to my right, rubbing his sore shoulder.

"You should pour some cold water over your face, Liam. Would you like another black eye?" I said, mocking.

"Bah, it will go by tomorrow." he replied with nonchalance.

I scrutinised the field with my eyes. The warriors were tired. But in war, they wouldn't have a break. That could make the difference between life and death.

"Have you thought about, Prince?" he continued. "When are you going to give me an answer?"

I knew what he wanted. It's been four years since I had to act as First Aga, amongst other things. I was a Prince, and, when Raiden was away, I acted in his place as well. I was feeling overwhelmed by the endless tasks and drained of energy. But I couldn't bring myself to replace Jayce yet.

"Again!" I shouted even louder. I had to push them more and to keep them fit. I turned to Liam.

"When you will get in your thick skull that I'd rather kill them myself than watch them die at the hands of those bloodsuckers." I slapped his shoulder, making him groan in pain.

His hand pressed harder into his shoulder as he got up from the bench. "You are right, my lord. I should go and look for some cold water".

Deep inside, I was still hoping that Jayce will come back. He was the best man for this. Born a leader, just like Raiden, he was our most trustful werewolf. I remembered how I spat on him when he was punished at the stone. I still hated myself for what I did, but I knew the necessity of it.

Just like I know now. We need another Aga, and it couldn't be me.

A distant rumble drew my attention. The warriors stopped their loud fight and looked at me, expecting their orders. At one snap of my fingers, and a defending line was formed.

Six high ranked men took their strategical places on the flanks, while four of our fastest trackers were already past the trees that surrounded the clearing of the training field.

The smell of our kinsmen filled my nostrils, and I relaxed. They were still far, but my powerful senses could discern their scent. The men relaxed as well, scattering away when I dismissed them. Training was over.

Three border trackers approached with their heads bowed. I was sitting on the raised platform in our great hall, in the king's chair. They stopped before me and kneeled.

"Why are you here?" My harsh voice filled the air.

"Lord Prince, we come to bring someone you might find of great importance." one of them answers.

"Rise." I knew the one that spoke. He was a loyal wolf, but a bit of a square head. "Of great importance? Well... do you need an invitation to bring him inside?"

The man turned his rough face to the others, commanding them only with his eyes. While he stood chin to chest in front of me, the two men hurried outside and returned with their capture.

With a sack over the head and her wrists tied brutal in front, she crumbled on the filthy earthen floor. Her fingers were stained with dry blood, half of her nails broken and caked with mud, just like her boots and half of her woolen skirt.

Remembering the man's name, I furrowed my brows. "It seems I can not understand, Zain"

"Lord- "