The land Between

Dawn

A faint breeze caressed my cheek. I squeezed my eyes harder, trying to fall into the sweet slumber again. I could feel the soft ground I was lying on, and a question rose gradually into my mind.

In a flash, I opened my eyes and jolted on my feet.

Nothing seemed familiar. I turned my head around to make sense of my surroundings, when I spotted a narrow footpath.

As I walked slowly on it, the forest changed. The trees were thicker, reaching the strange glowing sky with their long arms, and moss-covered stones sparkled like fireflies on a hot summer night. I stopped from time to time and widened my eyes, just to make sure my sight is still good. From the blue-green grass, little flowers with strange different shapes were peering at me.

The path ended in front of an endless lake. I rubbed my eyes, thinking that my mind was playing tricks. The lake's water seemed like it swallowed hot ambers, but somehow they were alive, dancing under its clear blueish surface.

As I was gasping in awe, a voice interrupted.

"Greetings, beautiful lady." The man appeared from thin air, straightening his back then leaning on a paddle in his small boat. He motioned with his hand for me to get in.

"Excuse me, sir, but who are you?"

"You can call me Charon. Hoop over, I'll take you on the other side. For a small coin, of course."

"On the... other side? What is this place?"

He shadowed his eyes with his palm and narrowed his eyes, like an imaginary sunlight was blinding him. "This is the Between the Worlds. Your voice is so familiar... What's your name?"

Not wanting to give the impression of a poor education, I answered.

"But I must decline your offer, sir. I need to turn back home. Mother will be worry and she will look for me..."

He hopped on the shore with ease, despite his old and tired appearance. I took a step back at the sudden move.

"You are in Between the worlds, and there is no 'back'. Only forward."

His words unsettled me. The corner of my eye tried to spot an escape. What does it mean Between the words? My hands started to shake slowly, as an idea rose in my head. Am I dead?

"Means exactly what it sounds. Now come on, let's be done with this!" He said, clapping his palms. Could he really read my mind?

"Amongst other things. And your thoughts are so loud!"

"Who did you said you are?" I asked, puzzled. "Or What- you are?"

Having a better look at him, I noticed a flame in his eyes, and how his golden hair glowed like the sunlight. I reached with my hand his shoulder length tresses, amazed of their beauty. His mouth formed an "o" at my boldness, and he asked with a stammered voice:

"You can see my true form?" He must have read my mind again. I nodded, and this time he took a step back. "Apologies, I am old... I didn't realized it was you. I knew your voice was familiar!" He bowed and added:

"If is really you, lady, then you are not quite dead..."

"Please sir, rise. And please be kind and make me understand... how do you know me? And how am I not Quite dead?"

"You don't have your essence, do you?" He asked. "That means... that you don't have your memories either." He scratched the top of his head. I waited impatiently for him to continue.